Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Reef23 is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Question

Hello,
I had 2 100W Marineland stealth heaters that were recalled. They sent me a 300W heater to replace the 2 x 100W. Now the 300W heater is shot and not working after only a few weeks. Im in the process of upgrading systems and they sent me a refund. What is the best heater options for a 140G+40G sump. I have always heard that running multiple heaters is the best in case the thermostat goes on one. Any suggestiosn ? Whats everyone else running?
Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

the best thing to do is have your heater on a controller. Can be a aquarium controller or just a dedicated heater (and fan) controller like a Ranco.

I'm using a single heater on a controller, with the heater's thermostat set a little higher than display temp as a backup for the controller's thermostat.

Sizing see here.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
the best thing to do is have your heater on a controller. Can be a aquarium controller or just a dedicated heater (and fan) controller like a Ranco.

I'm using a single heater on a controller, with the heater's thermostat set a little higher than display temp as a backup for the controller's thermostat.

Sizing see here.
Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that I will be using a reef keeper lite to control the heater. Is it better to get a heater without a thermostat or run one with a thermostat like stated above ?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef23 View Post
Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that I will be using a reef keeper lite to control the heater. Is it better to get a heater without a thermostat or run one with a thermostat like stated above ?
Get a couple heaters with thermostat. Control your heaters with RKL. Set the thermostat on your heaters one degree above your desired temperature. Set the temperature on your RKL to your desire one. You will have fail-over on both the heaters and the controller.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I run my 300W JAGER off my apex. never ever had an issue. Mind you the thing is hardly even on.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Get a couple heaters with thermostat. Control your heaters with RKL. Set the thermostat on your heaters one degree above your desired temperature. Set the temperature on your RKL to your desire one. You will have fail-over on both the heaters and the controller.
When you say a couple, how big are you thinking ?
2x150W ?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

always run more than one heater...always......same goes for powerheads imo...... in case one fails.same goes that if you can split stuff into two different breakers on the incase one was to trip you would still have a heater and powerhead on different breakers.im sure alot of people get away with one with no problems but what ifs can be the reason your tank crashes and lose everything cheers
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
always run more than one heater...always......same goes for powerheads imo...... in case one fails.same goes that if you can split stuff into two different breakers on the incase one was to trip you would still have a heater and powerhead on different breakers.im sure alot of people get away with one with no problems but what ifs can be the reason your tank crashes and lose everything cheers
I plan on running 2, its just a matter of what size
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

2x150w or 2x200w should be fine. With higher wattage the heaters can heat up the water faster in a shorter time so will be on less but the smaller wattage one take longer but use less power so it's pretty much a wash. 180g of water doesn't lose it's heat instantly so a single heater will have no problem keeping up but have a second as a back up. Your controller has a low/high temp alarm I believe. Pumps and lights and ambient temperature all add heat to the water as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef23 View Post
When you say a couple, how big are you thinking ?
2x150W ?

that or 2 x 200w wouldnt mater if you went bigger they would still be set to the same temp where as smaller heaters has to do alot more work to heat your tank same goes with the theory of 2 heaters one takes some of the load off the other