Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

My pair is in a 16 gallon nano with a clown goby and a peppermint shrimp. No aggression from the pistol towards my peppermint nor to my hermits. I just feed the tank and he gets what he gets.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Palster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
My pair is in a 16 gallon nano with a clown goby and a peppermint shrimp. No aggression from the pistol towards my peppermint nor to my hermits. I just feed the tank and he gets what he gets.
That's good to know. I already have a Boxer Shrimp aka Banded Coral Shrimp in my tank and was hoping I won't have any issues mixing the Pistol Shrimp and the Boxer Shrimp.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

The only thing I will say in regards to your setup is that the Coral Banded Shrimp sometimes picks a fight it can't win while the peppermint I have is a big wuss. That may make a difference.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:04 PM

RCFA is on a distinguished road

Mine seem to show up in a new hole every night around feeding time. Always out front. It is great to see the shrimp making the hole and I do have to target feed a bit as nothing really settles near them if I don't put the food right out in front of their hole. every day their old hole is closed up and they are back out the next night somewhere else. They must have a huge network of tunnels under my rock.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:17 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I was watching the world's most extreme animals and they had a section on the pistol shrimp. It explained how they hunt and how their strike is like a sonic weapon. They showed footage of it hunting, and it killed and ate a cleaner shrimp. I would have never thought they could live with other shrimp in an aquarium! I guess with lots of food present they have no need to kill anything else... that is so cool.

Mind you I keep a puffer, banana wrasse and a trigger with a coral banded, cleaner and peppermint shrimp and have had no losses as of yet.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Puff is on a distinguished road

i just picked up a hifin red banded goby and a randalls pistol shrimp from J&L. they teamed up within 10 seconds and started burrowing.

earlier in the week i went to king eds and was talked into a pistol shrimp that i was told was goby friendly. i also bought a hifin...

well...when i got home i found out the pistol shrimp was a bullseye pistol shrimp...which are definitely not goby friendly. the goby was down with hanging out...but the pistol shrimp decided to eat it the first night in the tank. so he was brought to JL yesterday.lol