Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default chiller question

Ok, for thoes of you that have central air, do you use a chiller?

why or whynot?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
Ok, for thoes of you that have central air, do you use a chiller?

why or whynot?

Steve
No chiller and I have never had a problem with my tank getting too warm but I am not running Metal Halides for lighting only T5's. Besides, I live in Kelowna and couldn't tolerate the heat in the summer without central A/C.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hmm ok, reason I am asking is I am moving to Kamloops in the summer, and most of the places we are looking at have central AC, but I will be using MH so I am trying to figure out how much of a differance central AC will make in temp flux.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road

i have central air, was considering buying a chiller to keep my temp down. but currently my tank temp is about 79 at the end of my 8 hour MH lighting cycle. i used 5 computer fans after i paniced when i saw my tank at 85-86 before the fans. i currenly have my house setting at 21 celcius.

i have never thought of buying a chiller before this incident but after putting 750w over my 92 gal i was worried that my ac would not pull the temp of tank down enough unless i sacrificed comfort/freezing the family. seems i managed to pull through though. i may still get a chiller just to be safe. and would like the house to be 1 degree warmer.

so it depends on how much you need to pull down, if only a few degrees then ac would be fine, if you need to drop your tank by alot then you would have to be living in a cold house to keep the tank down.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 PM

todd516 is on a distinguished road

That all depends on what part of town you are moving to and where the tank is in your house. I have a tank that gets the sun all day and i need a chiller all the time.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:19 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

morning
I am fairly sure I need to do something before summer

This room receives no sun at all, room temp at the time 38 degs
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Central air and no chiller though do have a couple of small muffin fans over the sump on a temperature controller.

As with CA the house stays the same temp year round, would say if don't need a chiller in winter, you wouldn't need one in summer.

and NBH, ya you might.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:28 PM

aquajeep is on a distinguished road

im in kelowna and none of the main windows open so it heats up a lot. i got an ac unit but it is working at max to keep temp at a comfy level. now this summer i have halides as well so i will be running a small chiller.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

I was going to get a chiller last summer as my temps hit 85, but ended up getting a ac for the room and it brought my temps back down to 78 where i had the heater set to.

This way i made my wife happy as the room is now comfertable as well and i only needed to buy one ac unit
Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

If you look at my photobucket there is a window next to my tank I keep a room conditioner in that window. I am hoping it keeps the tank cool enough. If it doesn't, central air it is, the wife will think it is for the house. Just don't tell