Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike clarke
perfect thanks i think i going to get some zoas first for sure to try out. to attach corals i see you just use modeling clay?
It's not modelling clay it's a two part epoxy when squished together hardens and hold frags, rock.... into place.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:57 AM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandigz View Post
And as for zoantids being deadly, Yes they can contain palytoxin in varying quantities but very few have levels that you would need to worry about with regular handling. There is a lot of myths and hype about palytoxin poisoning and how you can get it. You pretty much have to find the one in five hundred extremely toxic type and mash them into an newly opened wound and directly into the blood stream in order to have a near fatal experience. I'm kind of an expert on this, I should know I've been there I had every symptom for a fatal dose and also got to see a doctor. Was the worst 36 hours of my life. I still keep lots zoas/palys, and handle and frag them, always will. I just handle them with respect, and don't try to squish them off my rocks without gloves.
Regardless, nobody mentioned that zoas are poisoness. I will wager dollar over donuts that the LFS wouldn't mention it either. Who knows how people will react to the toxin? You almost receive a near fatal dose, would you still recommend them to beginner?