Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-26-2016, 03:25 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road
Default Blue Ribbon Eel

I'm planning on setting up a reef tank at my office and I've kept a few Blue Ribbon Eels in the past successfully and thought about maybe trying another one in this tank as the only inhabitant. Only problem is it's only a 34G Red Sea Max and every site I look at suggests 40G min up to 75G min. When I've kept these things before I always had pvc tubing under the substrate and they rarely ever came out for a swim unless they go searching for food because they haven't eaten in a few days. I guess my question is do you agree with those tank sizes under those conditions or do you think a 34G would be suitable? They're perfect tanks for Eels because they already have a tight closing lid.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:42 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road
Default .

I had kept a few myself in 150g. My experience is that these guys don't need a lot of room at all. They just curled up in one area and rarely went out swimming.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:25 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You may have a tough time controlling nutrients in a tank that small since the eel has a big appetite. I've seen them in the wild in Philippines around 4 feet long, but I'm not sure how big they get in captivity if they are bought smaller as I've never actually seen one in captivity. Very cool animal, but personally I wouldn't put it in a 34-gallon tank. I don't think I'd even consider my own 69-gallon tank a permanent home for one. I think they are black when they are juveniles, aren't they? I'm not sure what size they would change to either yellow for female or blue for male.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-27-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

The main issue with keeping one in a 34g RSM is that if the ribbon eel actually eats for you and survives, it can grow to 3' or more. The cubish shape of the RSM will restrict the eel's ability to stretch out fully and it'll always have to be curled up a bit.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
The main issue with keeping one in a 34g RSM is that if the ribbon eel actually eats for you and survives, it can grow to 3' or more. The cubish shape of the RSM will restrict the eel's ability to stretch out fully and it'll always have to be curled up a bit.
Exactly what I was thinking. I imagine a 48" tank like a standard 45 to 55 would be a good choice that's on the small side.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:48 PM

Definitely some valid points. In the past I've had pvc running the entire perimeter of the tank with outlets in the two front corners so stretching out wouldn't be an issue. I definitely worry about nutrients though but if it was the only inhabitant and it was fed every 3 days or so like they typically need to be then I think the nutrients could be controlled with regular water changes. The one thing I would worry about though is when it did decide to come out for a swim, how much damage would it do to coral placements and structures in a tank that size.

In regards to eating I've actually had excellent success with them in the past using some really cool methods of tricking them to eat. Only 1 out of 4 that I had wouldn't eat surprisingly.

And yes they start black as juveniles, turn blue as adult males and then turn yellow as mature females. I've had the pleasure of owning one long enough to see the full transformation and is it ever cool.

I definitely think it is a gamble though and you shouldn't gamble when it comes to a beautiful creature like that so I think you guys have talked me out of it. If it had all been brimming positivity then I might have stayed the course but I'd rather not become another negative statistic with this animal since they're hard enough to keep as is.

Thanks for your input everyone.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Jason, could you share how you've successfully gotten them to eat and how you've transitioned them to other foods? Once you get them eating they seem to be a pretty easy critter to care for, though I understand they are much sensitive to water quality than most fish.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:20 PM

Sure I don't mind. I'm always a little careful to post success stories with finicky fish on forums because it can sometimes lead to a bunch of people rushing out to try it and if it doesn't go as well then you're left with another dead animal.

I have always started by getting the thing to eat by offering one or two live feeder fish to start. Even though a diet of fresh water fish will not sustain for long term, it's good to start the process. If it won't eat live fish it's usually not going to eat frozen silversides. Then there's two major contributors that have led to my success:

One is to try and create a feeding frenzy with other fish in the tank (which would be difficult in my situation if this was going to be the only inhabitant). These animals have very bad eye sight so a feeding frenzy will sometimes entice them to strike something they normally wouldn't.

The second and main thing is to use a pair of those standard grey and black aquarium tongs that you use for grabbing things and mimic the behavior of another Eel. Keep the tongs open like an eels mouth, wave back and forth in the water like an eels head, and when a silverside is in close range for the sight and smell of the Eel, strike at it with the tongs mouth open. It's usually the striking that will entice the Eel to compete for the same food.

If you can get it to steal food from a striking pair of tongs then it doesn't take much time at all before it will accept silversides right from the tongs. All of the above requires consistent dedication in the beginning and it's never going to be 100% either. I find you have better luck with inexperienced black juveniles more than adults too.

Last edited by Jaws; 08-27-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:23 PM

Very cool trick with the tongs! Thanks for sharing.

SPS fanatic.