Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough
Default New overflow style to ponder over ... thoughts? Lengthy post so read at your leasure

If you don't already know, my 75g sprung a leak. There is a warranty replacement tank enroute, but I'm pondering a new style of overflow to maximize substrate space.

There is NO money available for me to order a custom tank, so don't remind me what I 'could' have

So, enter the Synergy Reef Overflow idea. I hope it's OK to post a link as none of our current sponsors carry anything such as this, but if I'm wrong sorry ... Synergyreef sells the 20" unit for $249US, so I'll be stealing their plans.

The design of this unit is not a whole lot different than what Glass Holes started off with years ago, but what they've done is create boxes that are more 'coast to coast' than just a square box. These guys offer a 16" and a 20" wide box. I like the idea of a 'wide' weir for surface skimming. And the way it's installed is completely different than a machined weir that may put stress on the back glass up high where the glass needs it's 'bowing' resistance.
The biggest attraction for me is the box 'inside' the tank is less than 1-3/8" deep. It holds 2 bulkheads for flow to the outside box .... I won't continue on. You can look at their website for more info.

Something else that attracts me to this design it the fact that I can use an existing 75g without removing any of the factory trim. This keeps the center brace in place, and the running water level above the trim/out of sight.
This doesn't mean 'their' design does or doesn't do this, but rather that 'mine' will.

Learning about this new style box has brought me to think about a DIY for my replacement tank. And this is where I'll give you some info to peruse and maybe give me some feedback on.

I like the idea of drilling holes many inches down from the top of a tank, verses cutting a wier across the top of a tank that wasn't spec'd for it.

My plan is to start with a stock 75g tank - no holes. I will then drill my own holes in the back.
I will build my own internal black acrylic box copying the above idea.
For the external part I will build a box using glass as it's easier for me to build it 'leak-proof'.

'Their' setup calls for drilling bulkhead holes 3-1/2" from the top. This is obviously a safe enough distance from the top to minimize glass stress/breakage and I plan on stealing this idea.
I'm then able to build whatever Herbie or Bean style I like.

Any questions or thoughts ?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Just remember that most companies will void warranties if the tanks are drilled by anyone aside from them.

But the synergy overflows work very well. My friend has had one for two months now and I'm very impressed with it. Especially the finish on the acrylic. Looks very sleek. The design is very simple too. If you can do a DIY project to mimic the idea, I would love to see it!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 AM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road

Check out my build log, I think what I ended up doing in my tank is kind of like what you are planning to do. I used the glass holes overflow as the starting point. It's working out well for me so far, I built a herbie into my external box with help from Anthony. Completely silent.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:55 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Reef supplies carries something like it, for cheaper.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...OW-SYSTEM.html
Old 03-13-2016, 05:31 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

I like the look of that. I'm always nervous of the reliability of those small overflows but there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:13 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I like the concept of them and would certainly consider one for myself if I had to create an overflow for a standard non-drilled tank. However I'd probably just build my own out of scrap glass to save a few bucks.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 PM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWR View Post
Reef supplies carries something like it
Thanks for the link Ian
Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Great idea Greg, however I share Fishy's concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Just remember that most companies will void warranties if the tanks are drilled by anyone aside from them.
I guess it is technically a free replacement for a tank you've already purchased years ago, and you are planning an upgrade in the future... but still.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 PM
On Hiatus

Just to clarify, I'd sell the new replacement and drill a much cheaper tank
And you can bet I'd go over the tank to be drilled with a 'magnifying glass' before I would start drilling
Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM

dino is on a distinguished road

I feel like you could make that for 50 with glass. I have made similar overflows