Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Oh... and I though Supreme Leader Snoke was tres cool.

Last edited by WarDog; 12-24-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:17 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I definitely liked the character department of the film. BB-8, Rey, Fin, I found them all quite interesting and do want to learn more about them. Even Kylo, despite his underlying theme also recycled. He's like some raging unstable teenaged sociopath emo.

I think that's where this movie could have been perfection. If you married the care and attention placed on the characters and their acting with an original story/plot within the Star Wars mythology.

I guess they kinda chickened out and decided to play it safe.

Oh and you can't say a thing against the visuals. They were epic and stunning, even if they were also recycled seriously, another plant destroying super orb weapon?! Really?! LOL
Old 12-24-2015, 07:13 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

There were so many references to the original movies that I was thoroughly entertained by it all Especially when they were deciding what to do with Captain Phasma

The special effects where awesome and I don't know if any of you noticed but there were some interesting cameos that I found surprising look at the village, market at Jakku

I found that the new leads were great choices both Rey and Finn were solid Kylo I'm somewhat on the fence with him

Closing the Hans Solo story line not overly struck on the father son thing but at least there is closure to that

Waiting on the Star Wars stand alone that will be coming out in 2016 Rogue One: A Star Wars story and there is works in place for origins story on Hans and Chewie. Also 3 more stand alone so have been announced for the next 4 years my geek meter is rising
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I think the Rogue One film could be very good, as long as they stay away from known characters, which I'm pretty sure is the plan.

I'm somewhat concerned about the Han Solo film. I just cant seem to see how they can recast Ford. He is that character. Period.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:51 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Right, now that we've got that out of the way

First off, I thought that on its own merits as a standalone movie it was phenomenal. It had all the hallmarks of a Star Wars movie. Great visuals, actions, pacing, the mythology. They were all there. It was quite entertaining in its own right.

Now, if I may put on my uberfan critics hat..

I felt that it was more like a reboot of Episide IV than a sequal to Episode VI. I've heard this sentiment from a lot of other fans. I guess they decided to play it safe and just recycled all the plot, theme and base story of Episode IV. This is unfortunate (for an uberfan like me), as I was hoping for a somewhat original story. Like most, I didn't like Episode I either, but at least it had somewhat of an original story/theme/plot (within the context of the Star Wars Universe of course). Actually, I felt All Episodes I through VI where pretty original despite their faults (bad acting, dialogue, etc). Episode VII unfortunately didn't feel at all original. You can take the entire script of Episode IV and translate it to Episode VII by just changing genders, and inverting a few themes. Even the ending where they lead into Episode VII felt like we were just about to watch Episode V all over again, and revisiting all of those themes and plots.
Totally agreed. I came away dissapointed after watching it. I liked Star Wars 1 better.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
Totally agreed. I came away dissapointed after watching it. I liked Star Wars 1 better.
Ya, the uber Star Wars fanatic in me was a bit disappointed but the movie/sci fi fan (I LOVE watching movies) in me was quite satisfied with the entertainment.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Agreed with pretty much everything stated so far.

Movie was great as a stand alone but there was too much reused. We were joking about the nature of the next films death weapon... FIRE THE DEATH BLACKHOLE!! Better yet FIRE THE DEATH GALAXY!

Also the whole "oh no the death planet is charging, we have like 15 minutes to mount an offensive travel across the galaxy find the 15 meter hole in the field generator and blow up the planet thing" was a tad... plot holey.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Plot hole?! I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Rey could wield the Force with no training whatsoever. Not even so much as a mentor like Luke had in Ep. IV. And with no training she was able to stand her ground and beat Kylo even though he was officially trained by both Luke and Snokes ?! Anyway, whatevs, it's Stsr Wars! Pew-Pew!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:07 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Rey using the Force without training was no big deal... Rey using the Force without training... WAS NOOoo big deal *waves hands in the air a few times*.

Pretty stoked they brought back Porkins though haha.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Meh, Rey using the force without any training was really no big deal.