Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Auto-correct. Yup, I'm going with that.

You're only old if you use to watch 'Space 1999' on TV.

The Force Awakens just became the largest grossing domestic film of all time. I wonder if that speaks to the production value or the sheepishness of today's society?
it's in part the propaganda and lemming affect due to its pop culture pervasiveness. I've had many discussions over the past month with non-scifi/non-star wars fan who planned to go see it or have already seen it just out of curiosity. They rarely ever bother with science fiction/fantasy/comic book movies but these people (that I speak of) went to see the new Star Wars anyway. It's as if it was programmed into them to go watch the movie. That's what happens when you put a Dark Lord of the Sith on a cereal box, I suppose.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
That's what happens when you put a Dark Lord of the Sith on a cereal box, I suppose.
Sorry, I guess he's just a Dark Jedi, not quite a Sith yet. But his master may be a Sith (or may not be) so it's still a bit ambiguous, I guess. #nerd.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I find the trend in current sci-fi is to make even bigger and bigger threats to existence than ever seen before. It's like the pressure is on to present something that's so dangerous it shocks us into caring that much more about the outcome. Except now that it's so big it's just hard to comprehend the scale. It's not just this movie with the planet that kills several planets at once, but look at Star Trek: ooops there goes the whole planet Vulcan, shucks. I don't know how many times "the galaxy" or "the universe" or heck "all of creation" is threatened by the Daleks but since the last threat was solved, this next one has to be even bigger! .. but for me the problem now is that these are just sooooo big, it's hard to buy into it, and it affects my suspension of disbelief.

Switching gears a little .... I will say that whatever the Millenium Falcon is made out of .... I want my next vehicle to be made of that!! Boat bike truck whatever. Just make it out of that stuff! "Military Grade Aluminium" has NOTHING on it!! Look, you fly straight into mountainsides, through forests .. and not a scratch. Oh, the insides are falling apart and stuff, but nothing an astromech or a reupholstering couldn't fix up nice.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I tried to come up with a witty remark to the Space-1999 comment ... but the truth of it is I can't remember if I actually watched this show on TV. Odds are kinda good I didn't: my parents really weren't big on the whole TV thing and kinda opposed any sort of potential enjoyment that those things could bring. I had the hardest time convincing them to let me watch "Greatest American Hero". Come on, someone tell me that this show was awesome, because I grew up thinking that it probably was and I just had no idea because I couldn't confirm it for myself. I'd look for it on Netflix but the reality is I don't know if should watch it now because it's probably just for the best now that I don't really find out.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I tried to come up with a witty remark to the Space-1999 comment ... but the truth of it is I can't remember if I actually watched this show on TV.
Yeh, I can't remember that one at all... Maybe I'm too young... NOT...
Old 01-08-2016, 12:41 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Well I go back to TV in the mid fifties and don't remember Space 1999
Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Auto-correct. Yup, I'm going with that.

You're only old if you use to watch 'Space 1999' on TV.

The Force Awakens just became the largest grossing domestic film of all time. I wonder if that speaks to the production value or the sheepishness of today's society?
Ohhhhhh me. I watched all the time.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:27 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Ohhhhhh me. I watched all the time.
I guess it wasn't on any of the 2 channels we got, Channel 2 CBUT Vancouver or channel 12 KVOS Bellingham.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Yeah, if I think hard enough I somewhat remember it around '76-'79. We had cable... so about 6 channels to choose from!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM

Space 1999 was awesome. I watched re-runs of it in the 80s, along with re-runs of pretty much every other 'B' rated sci-fi show ever made.

The Greatest American Hero was great too ! I hope the follow through with a remake of that show. Most superhero shows these days only briefly touch on that awkward phase between being normal and having awesome superpowers. It's like, one day they are normal, the next day they have powers, spend a bit of time figuring out said power, then the day after that they are saving the world/galaxy Whereas The Greatest American Hero spent an entire series run trying to figure out the whole superhero powers thing.