Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Newfoundland

Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Deep Blue Sea is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone local have a lifereef overflow

I am looking for a lifereef overflow for sale locally. The shipping from the U.S. is just crazy and I was hoping to get one of these overflow boxes here, or at least in Canada so I could save on shipping at least.

I checked the for sale forum here and had a couple of hits, but no luck with closing either deal.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 AM

kole is on a distinguished road

I thought you were going to buy another band. Good luck finding a lifereef locally.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM

I was going to get the Aqueon and I had a friend going in on a purchase with J&L.

We met up yesterday to have a coffee and talk about our order and what each was getting and deciding on the next live order and so on.

He told me he had one of the ones I was getting and had some very bad luck with his. Not just a one incident thing with it, but a series of the same problems to the point he had to stop using his.

I got nervous about getting the Aqueon at that point and decided against it again. So I am back on the lifereef as my choice again and I am trying to locate on locally due to the shipping charges.

I have already been in contact with Jeff and as a matter of fact his email is the next one I have to reply to and I am getting him to send me one today.

D.B.S.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Proper set up is key with these.
If your flow isn't strong enough, you will get bubbles building up in the u-tube that will eventually break siphon.

The lifereef u-tubes have a gradual curve that makes this a lot less likely but as long as you have a strong enough pump, you should never, ever lose siphon with one of these.

I hate to say it, but your friend just didn't set it up properly.

I had a couple of issues before I figured this out and not one siphon break in close to 4 years now since.

Speaking as a past lifereef and aqueon overflow user.

Now, I just build my own out of acrylic and pvc.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:18 PM

I initially was very happy that you pointed me toward the Aqueon in the first place and was happy with not only the reduced cost of the overflow box but the hefty shipping as well.

Since I talked with my friend and he told me of all the problems and he told me that he stood there and watched the air bubble getting larger until it broke syphon and fail scared me.

He told me that he did juggle with the return pump and had minimal luck but eventual failures in each attempt.

I decided that peace of mind was worth more than the extra money.

I kind of do know what you say about not setting it up correctly and believe it to be just that. Especially since this same friend uses a CPR without any problems, and that concerns me!! But I am just very nervous about tempting fate and hearing ``I told you so``

With shipping this is now going to cost three times as much as the Aqueon of the same size, but again, I get to sleep

I wish I had more experience and wasn`t so nervous, then I could be a little richer
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Too bad your friend doesnt have the aqueon to let you borrow.

if you do some research outside of canreef, there is a tonne of reeefers who have never had a failure using ANY u-tube overflow.

That being said, there is no debate that Lifereef is the best.
Aqueon is essentially a knock off of it.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Eshopps makes a very similar overflow to Life Reef too. Life Reefs do occasionally become available on canreef, I sold mine last fall.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 AM

kole is on a distinguished road

I have both an Eshoppes and a Lifereef. I haven't had an issue with either box. THe u-tube overflows are better than the cpr style overflows but they can all have issues.