Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Why my angels died of seemingly the same symptoms you describe, my naso was the exact same way with them. She is such a sensitive and caring fish. She protects the small fish and is the one that seems to let me know something might be wrong (case of the angels). When the first of my angels, the baby majestic fell ill, she swam on the other side of my hand as I tried to swim the angel around in hopes of helping. She was clearly upset when I finally had to take him out to QT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
If there has been one thing about this experience that really has been amazing its the way my Naso tang has responded to the Copperband tonight. He has not left his side. I thought at first it was coincidence but I have now observed him "laying" or hovering beside the copperband for hours. If the copperband moves, he follows. He even chased my Yellow tang away just now when the yellow got too close to the Copperband.

I have snapped some pics and will post them. Although amazing to see the Naso act this way, they are very sad pictures

The Naso has never shown any interest or bond with the Copperband until it was not feeling well tonight.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:31 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Sorry for your loss, I just saw what happened after I replied. My angels seemed to waste away in a matter of a couple of hours too. I was told it is a species specific bacteria that only effects large species angels. Maybe this might be so with the CBB as well. If so, if you can get the fish out ASAP and treat it with anti biotic, they will come through. I was told sometimes you need to treat the 2-3 times until the build an immunity to the bacteria on their own. I thought the same thing about what you think is killing your CBBs... but my hunting and research has turned me to see it was more then likely a bacterial infection that killed my fish.

I'm not saying this might be so in your case, but it might be worth looking into a little more.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Very sad. I have heard somewhere that Butterfly's mate for life and if the pair is broken up for whatever reason then the mate is doomed. If this is true then I wonder how many of these fish die of a "broken heart". Is there any difference in survival if you get them when they are still really small? say before they would have had a chance to pair bond.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:34 PM

pinkjello is on a distinguished road
Default sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your loss. Animals are wonderful creatures..and they can amaze us with things we would and could never imagine. I find it amazing that during his death the other one was continuously by his side (or her side)..but he/she knew that the other one was sick. Thats one great wonder of nature right there!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM

pinkjello is on a distinguished road
Default and..

and you know..the one that was dying wasnt alone...

i saw a pufferfish the other day at a store..porcupine..he was ill you could tell, sitting in the corner of this huge tank all by himself, when i looked at him his eyes slowly looked straight at me..i couldnt help but get misty eyed..it was just the way he looked at me. If i could have stayed there with him i would have - but of course that would have looked silly! I kind of said under my breath.."your not alone"..i had to leave the store it bothered me so much..

sorry for the sad note..
Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I really don't know what to say. I'm very sorry.

Last edited by Delphinus; 03-25-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have three things to say:

1. 5? 5?!!
2. Cyanide.
3. Very interesting about the Naso.

Oh, and ever since I first saw a picture of a CBB in a book probably in the late 80s I wanted one sosososossooooooooooo bad, and when I found out about how generally hopeless it is to keep CBBs long term, I was crushed. My sw goal from so long ago is one I won't attempt. Not unless something changes.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-25-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Sorry about your CBB loss, they are really great looking fish, wish I could get one but I know how difficult they are (from past experience) and my current fish mix would not allow for a CBB to even have a chance.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Sorry for your loss. Very odd and sad how quickly your CBB went downhill. I got my CBB 2 years ago and have never had any problems with him, however I know many people who can't keep one no matter how hard they try. I did try to get another CBB last summer but it was from a bad source but I thought I could save him but he died 2 days later.

Very cool though how your Naso stayed with him.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 PM

TheRealBigAL is on a distinguished road

Sorry that sucks