Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

tagging along! Pictures!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 AM

themastr is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Milad

Thanks Milad

I will take photos and post them online when I get everything. Hopefully I get my stuff in the next month.

I need to buy my TRP drivers still. I will call them tommorrow. I will keep you posted.

thanks
erick
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 AM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille

I would like to see this one! Tag.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket
Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Just placed my TRP Drivers

Just ordered my TRP drivers. hopefully will get everything by end of month

I will keep you guys posted

thanks
erick
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 AM

Just ordered my Apex Controller and PM1 Module. Also seems like my LEDs will be shipped here soon. Still have to wait till end of month to get my heatsink but I should be starting soon.

I'll keep you posted

thanks
erick
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

did you order the LEDs or are they on back order? the reason I ask and I wish I saw this sooner is you don't need 4 different colors and it is going to contrubute to more color spotting. general opinion on colors of LEDs now is to forget about blue (doesn't do anything for you realy) and go with just a nutral white and royal blue at a ratio of two RB to 1 nutral white.

I am in the process of ordering a couple royal blue, couple cool white and a couple nutral white so I can do some color testing befor I do a big order.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info
I'm really only using 3 colors which is CW,RB,NW. I will have them on all seperate dimmable drivers.

The 24 blue LEDS are purely for moonlights which also has it's own driver. I kinda wanted to play around with the differnt color spectrum so that's why I ordered so many types.

84 CW on 1 Driver
84 RB on 1 Driver
84 RB on 1 Driver
44 CW mixed with NW on 1 driver

24 Blues for moonlights on 1 driver

Something like this setup I will tally all the numbers up once I recieve the products.

I ordered from Milad from http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/. I ordered alot so some pieces weren't available but told him to hold off till everything arrives and just ship it as one. That way saves shipping cost.

I had a really hard time finding the TRP drivers about (10 week wait) but luckily found someone from Reefcentral who is ordering direct from manufacturer and got my order in on friday. Supposedly it's been ordered and should be here in 2 weeks. I also got a 75 Watt from nanotuners which I will get at the end of the month.

I am now waiting for my heatsinks from my brother in the states which I will get end of April. I will take them to a machine shop to get them drilled. Freak too much holes for me about 600. Then I will start my build.

I've been researching on G11 or acrylic to prevent creepage but not sure which one or where to order yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.

thanks
erick
Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Congrats on getting this build going. I too will be doing a large LED build...already have my LED's from Milad.
I have to admit that I'm a little worried about your choice to use the drivers that you've chosen in a serial LED string format. Unless you are doing parallel strings...doing large serial strings like that leaves a lot of risk for being electrocuted during your build.

If you look on RC, you will find several threads where people have been speaking of doing large strings on high voltage Thomas Research drivers...but the experienced electricians always warn them that this could be the last project they ever do. One of the most common issues during these builds are shorts to the heatsink...in using those high voltage drivers...you run the risk of getting injuured from touching the heatsink.

I can't profess to being an electrician...I just did a lot of research before ordering my LED'S. The continued warnings of the really good DIYer's on RC have got me convinced that large serial strings are not worth the risk. I hope that you research this some more before your parts all arive.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 AM

Thanks mseepman

I'm cureently a third year Powerlineman apprentice with an Electrical engineering tech background. I deal with highvoltage everyday and have access to materials that will help me protect myself like rated rubber gloves, volt meter, etc and also have a lot of soldering experience. (benefits of working in my Field )
I also have a high powered microscope for soldering the LEDs to see if I left any solder.
The only thing I'm not sure about right now is the Voltage creepage. That's got me researching. I want to use G11 or even acrylic and pot all the LEDs like nuclearHeli in reef central but not sure where to get them from in Canada.

I plan on putting a Resistor and a Fuse inline with each string (maybe 850mA or so) So if anything does go wrong it will hopefully blow before I lose my LEDs. Not sure how much current will be so not sure about the fuse sizes. Also I get alot of help from people at work and the engineers. Always bug them about questions.

I looked into parallel strings but was worried about 1 string blowing up and sending current in the other strings. So I figured Series would be alot easier (+ to -). Also I have a driver per string so I will know which one is messing up.

I do agree with you about the dangers of High voltage. Don't get into it unless you have the right equipment and knowledge. I think that Nuclearheli has been great with his build and I will try to copy it exactly. Probably not as neat but we will see. LOL

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1975251

I'm still learning but have a basic understanding of the whole LED build. Hopefully I can learn from my mistake and help someone else. Crossing my fingers XOXOXO

Oh and don't ever forget the OHM & diode Checks. 4 times atleast.

thanks
erick
Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

$230 to ship a heat sink? what does it weigh?