Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

It may look ugly and be a pain to deal with but it's better than a cat. I hate cats. So many cats, so few recipes!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Finisher604 is on a distinguished road

I do not use RO water and I dont have this problem. Get an emerald crab if it's bubble alge, I test water for all peramiters run dosers and all that jazz. Does sun light hit your tank ? I have heard the wrap works.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Tap water is an unkown until you do some research & find out what's in it. Will definitely affect the operation of your system long term. Very few of us are fortunate to have pure enough tap water or tap water with all the 'right' ingredients to successfully run a tank for the long haul. The folks around Greater Vancouver have tap water TDS of less than 20, my source in Vernon is 210+. Good place to start is with a water quality report from your local utility.

http://www.devon.ca/Government/Depar...erUtility.aspx

I used treated tap water for just over a year & things did ok, but never looked that great & always a struggle with outbreaks of various undesireable stuff. Some of it we deal with regardless when starting a new tank (part of cycling the system), but I've been using RODI water now for years & things have never looked better. Lights can also affect what type of algae takes hold. The blue spectrum will suppress most types of green algae.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I used Devon's tap water with no issues.
I suggested upgrading skimmer and new bulbs.
And j. I'll test your water for you tonight to see if there's a diff between readings.

The tank only has 4 fish in it but lacks a cuc. Also suggested a refugium to grow out Macro

Tank was also started using prodibio startup
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Emeraude1484 is on a distinguished road

If you've used tap water and succeeded congrats!

I did it when I was a newbie in a 10 and a 20 gal, both were disasters until I was told to switch to RODI. I couldn't afford a system but started buying Culligan and things went uphill IMMEDIATELY.

As for the algea... You seem to have green cyano and bubble algea. Lights out works pretty well for cyano but it seems to be more of a bandaid IMO and comes back fairly qick without finding the reason behind the growth. I have been told to use chemiclean which is apparently fantastic.
For the bubble... I LOATHE the stuff. I had an outbreak and followed the advice "don't break them the spores will spread buy emerald crabs" which is sound advice but when it comes to the point that it covers EVERY inch of the rock, overflow and starting to grow on the sps... grrrrrrr... I gave up and scrapped everything I could reach and did a water change at the same time. The 4 emerald crabs could keep up with it afterwards but I still scrape at it during water changes.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Get a cheap TDS meter and verify the TDS of your tap water. Then go from there. Water changes will make things worse if you have high TDS in the tap water. After that, look at lights, sunlight, feeding, number of livestock, etc.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

lets be honest to enjoy long-term success you have to have RO/DI....they should not sell a tank without them, particularly given their low price relative to everything else in our hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
you ideally want to run ro/di water. trust me it will help greatly and will cut your maintenance way back once the tank matures
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 PM

NAS is on a distinguished road

Check your source water for nitrates and phosphates.
Have a look at your water tone (look through a zip lock in day light yellow=doc's) DOCs can skew your spectrum.
Bulb Age?? Type?? Could be starting to slide. . .

Hammer the Phosphate and nitrate remover. . . An AT LEAST TOP OFF WITH RO.
If you get ro from a store (like i du cuz im lazy) then b sure to test it for phospates/nitrates. Some less the cool biz owners in the past have skimped on the RO and done RO/Tap cut at stores.

Most likley cause all tanks are effected at same time it's Source water/hardware.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

back before Vancouver opened it's super water filter plant I used to top off with tap water and I could see the existing algae bloom the next day.
Have long since gotten an RO so I don't know if that's still the case but I would def think it's an unsettled system with the tap water.