Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 AM

NAS is on a distinguished road

I will forward what I have when i get the site again. I printed it out and moved on... forgot the paper. It is a thesis out of the states on clam bleaching.

I don't really think you need to dose the nitrate unless you have a zero measure with lots of clams. Im guessing that it ma be a bit risky if one screws up... I have calculated the dosage for the whole tank to end up at 10 ppm. I plan to start at 1/4 dose or so... and se what happens.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Back Again!

My last posting on this whole shingding was in March, Sorry lots has gone on since... but back now.

Ok,
First, the bleached clam. I have pictures some where that I will put up shortly. Since the last post the clam had progressed to more white then any other color. I was very distressed.

I continually dosed my tank with water from our predator tank (40-80 ppm nitrates), weekly a 20% water change (adding dirty water! yes takein clean out) This seemed to arrest the color loss, and very slowly started to turn it arround. VERY SLOWLY. So in frustration I added a second 250w metal halide with a new bulb in the old m/h. Both at 14000K.

HOLLY CRAP! The color is back, and not just back it's darker then when I got the clam. There is even Black banding coming up in the tissue of the Squamosa. New pics to come. Every thing is just poping.

There were two casualties, I had a heat surge that cooked out my accro's, and one weak clam. But I also gaind a fantastic maxima in the mean time so im only down one.

more to come latter today.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Excellent news Scott! So it turns out that bulbs do need to be changed every now and then...

Sorry to hear about the acros...never fun to lose coral.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Yup,

it really a marked improvement. There were some side effects, biggest of all was that the majority of my mushroom's crawled to the under side of the rocks, so they are harder to see now. but still the key is that the Clams are the focus.

I was down in vancouver last week... on the way out I poped into the aquarium. They have a spectacular gigas specium there. I want it, LOL

my clam tank is better though....
So it has re-kindled my gigas goal of a large clam tank.. I am considering collapsing my tang/ angel tank and selling it to front a much larger tank... Wooo, i am actually anquishing on this.

In any event, I agin am at a turning point for my clam tank. Things are gettin too big now and starting to interfere with each outher. I am stittin at over an inch and a half growth since february 2008 on my squamosa. Every thing else except the large crocea are showing strong growth.

I am going to re-decorate the tank structure soon, and possibly cull some of the rock from the tank...

I will have before and after pics.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 PM

I have finally managed to re-do my tank to give the clams a little more space. They are still overlaping each other...But at least they have enough room to fully open up. I had a frog spawn fall off a piece of rock and smoke one of my really small crocea's.

Still no word on a gigas. Geesh.

I am one step closer to figuring out what im doing with my Clam tank.

Regretfully, my camera that was just fixed craped out again.

Little longer for pics to come
Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Had seepman over for a beer on the weekend. He planted a thought on my clam tank that has stuck. A large shallow flats style tank. Im thinking 18 inches bul long and 24 front to back.

Thinkin it's going to be a custom self made thing.... Not 100% on that though. Still lamenting on it.

I am in dire need of some pepermint shrimp. Any one seen any around?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Glad I could give you some ideas. The tank is looking great given the limited amount of space you have. I think the shallow tank would look great with that clam forest you've been working on.

hmm...I haven't seen any peppermints locally for quite a while. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 PM

kat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kat

The polka dot one is amazing!! I always thought crocea needed to be on a rock, but all yours are in the sand...do you have anything under them? I am really new to keeping clams, and would love to have some of the amazing ones like you have
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Okay am I blind or something? I'm not seeing any photos!

I'm also looking for a gigas and I've had no luck. However if I do luck out, I have a friend that travels to and from Vernon regularly that could probably bring a clam out to you if one could be arranged.

Read any good clam papers since the last time?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah sorry I'm with Michika. All I see is blah blah blah wish you could see this because it's so awesome, but you can't, nyah nyah, blah blah blah no pictures blah blah blah.