Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Denny's been back for months and months. He chooses not to participate.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:17 PM

ComfortablyNumb is on a distinguished road

Ian's post reflects my feelings exactly...and its the reason I didn't just pass this thread by as I normally would.

Do you go to bed at night in fear that a short power interruption will take out your whole reef/fish tank? I certainly don't ...as I have experienced dozens of short power interruptions in my 35 yrs keeping aquariums, with little to no losses incurred as a direct result of a 1-4hr outage.

If I was a newbie and watched that vid (as presumably hundreds have and many will do), my thoughts would be... why would I put thousands into a hobby that can be wiped out in 3hrs from a normal power interruption? It may keep me out of the hobby entirely. Thus, the OP should be held to a higher standard than your average poster.... not to mention the funds soliciting.

From another site:
Quote:
I was thinking that since you've done so much with the reefing community in the way of educational videos, I would be more than happy to contribute to a gofundme site to get your tank up and running again. I'm sure others would do the same
....example of such soliciting working as intended by the OP.

When money starts being involved, combined with fact the OP admits she is no expert, plus some very dubious advice and conclusions dispensed...well, like I said...colour me sceptical.

She certainly has a lovely speaking voice with its own cadence and charm..but some of the things she has said, combined with her big reach and money requests...well you get the picture.
Cheers.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 PM

As a matter of fact, if I was admin here I'd sent her a pm immediately requesting she refrain from posting links that solicit money for her own personal gain on this site. ie: post the actual vid, not a link that requests funds.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 05-20-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: misspelled "immediately"
Old 05-20-2016, 11:53 PM

Cabinetman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Ian's post reflects my feelings exactly...and its the reason I didn't just pass this thread by as I normally would.

Do you go to bed at night in fear that a short power interruption will take out your whole reef/fish tank? I certainly don't ...as I have experienced dozens of short power interruptions in my 35 yrs keeping aquariums, with little to no losses incurred as a direct result of a 1-4hr outage.

If I was a newbie and watched that vid (as presumably hundreds have and many will do), my thoughts would be... why would I put thousands into a hobby that can be wiped out in 3hrs from a normal power interruption? It may keep me out of the hobby entirely. Thus, the OP should be held to a higher standard than your average poster.... not to mention the funds soliciting.

From another site:
....example of such soliciting working as intended by the OP.

When money starts being involved, combined with fact the OP admits she is no expert, plus some very dubious advice and conclusions dispensed...well, like I said...colour me sceptical.

She certainly has a lovely speaking voice with its own cadence and charm..but some of the things she has said, combined with her big reach and money requests...well you get the picture.
Cheers.
Well said Ted!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 PM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

I guess if any lesson to be learned if if you are investing serious $ in livestock and/or care about the livestock it is wise to get a Seneye or Apex that can alert you in cases like this. That and a UPS or Battery Backup device.

I have all four personally as I have had too many close calls with snow storm outages as well as lightning storms in the summer.

I do feel bad for OP, but I think many are skeptical of her intentions due to the mass posting across other forums and the sign off on her video which makes people assume its for subscribers or $.

I'm not saying that is in fact the case, but to give you an example of why I am personally skeptical is the Fort McMurray fires. I work at a major financial institution assisting those affected as well as volunteering my time at Red Cross and various charities, and you wouldn't believe how many people try to scam their way to get money when they weren't actually affected by those events in the least. If anyone has experienced this, you start to take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 AM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A dark tank, as presumably the OP's tank was as the claimed outage happened at night, would also use up less o2 due to the relative inactivity of the fish.
While true fish might use less oxygen at night, a tank also has less dissolved oxygen at night with the lowest levels of dissolved oxygen just before lights on. All photosynthesis is halted without light, and algae and zooxanthellae will use up dissolved oxygen and release carbon dioxide at night.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As a matter of fact, if I was admin here I'd sent her a pm immediately requesting she refrain from posting links that solicit money for her own personal gain on this site. ie: post the actual vid, not a link that requests funds.
Wow, for a new member (just over a month), you're going out of your way to change this forum into something its never been and to single-handedly break the stereotype of Canadians as friendly, accepting, sympathetic people. It's like you won't be satisfied until the OP leaves Canreef to avoid all this unnecessary online hate spewing from your keyboard. I guess "Haters gotta hate" as they say.

Just because YOU can't imagine that her fish died due to a lack of oxygen does not mean it didn't happen for that reason. As Myka and others have pointed out, power outages of various durations can (and have) caused several tank crashes to reefers we know. Each tank is different. One tank may come through with no casualties, others may suffer a complete crash. Ok, so it's never happened to you. Thank your lucky stars, but don't take your good fortune to mean that your experience is the same as everyone elses.

Your screenname "ComfortablyNumb" must be Ironic rather than an accurate description of your online persona/attitude.

Here's some free (unsolicited) advice:

1) If you have a problem with the OP, don't open her threads or post on them

2) If you have a problem with the OP's videos, don't watch them (nobody is forcing you)

3) If you feel like typing something hateful and nasty or giving advice to the forum administrators and moderators, go to your fridge, grab a brew and become "comfortably numb" instead.

BTW, if you want to attack my credentials, I've been keeping fish for almost 40 years, have a BSc in Aquaculture and an MSc in Aquacultural Engineering from UBC, and have worked for several years both in the petshop industry and working on commercial fish farms.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsisvixen View Post
While true fish might use less oxygen at night, a tank also has less dissolved oxygen at night with the lowest levels of dissolved oxygen just before lights on. All photosynthesis is halted without light, and algae and zooxanthellae will use up dissolved oxygen and release carbon dioxide at night.
Exactly. This reverse-photosynthetic process exacerbated the low dissolved Oxygen issue and would have made things worse, NOT better.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Wow, for a new member (just over a month)
I may be new here SF, but I have been admin on a software-related BBS for over 8 yrs.

Quote:
and to single-handedly break the stereotype of Canadians as friendly, accepting, sympathetic people.
You give me far too much credit I think. I also believe you are confusing my scepticism with hostility.

Quote:
It's like you won't be satisfied until the OP leaves Canreef to avoid all this unnecessary online hate spewing from your keyboard. I guess "Haters gotta hate" as they say.
Its not just me saying it, if you'd take notice. Again, I believe you are confusing scepticism with hate or hostility. Hostility is however, clearly evident in your post to me.

Quote:
Just because YOU can't imagine that her fish died due to a lack of oxygen does not mean it didn't happen for that reason.
Again, my friend, its not just me saying it. And it also goes against my 35 yrs experience and also in some very tangible ways, it goes against common sense.

Quote:
Ok, so it's never happened to you.
Indeed, as I posted previously, power outages have happened to me many times over 35 yrs. And not once did I experience a complete die-off due to a 1-3hr power outage. Nor has any friend of mine, even one who's vid I posted earlier, ever experience anything like that with his tank, which is far more heavily laden bio-load wise than her tank. Our suspicions are there was something else wrong with this tank because an o2 crash in that short a period of time is, to my (alleged) mind, highly unlikely.

Quote:
Your screenname "ComfortablyNumb" must be Ironic rather than an accurate description of your online persona/attitude.
Never, ever judge a book by its cover. *wink

Quote:
Here's some free (unsolicited) advice:
I read your "advice" and you are asking more than its worth.

Quote:
BTW, if you want to attack my credentials
I have zero intention of attacking your credentials. What I am upset with is your open hostility. The OP is clearly lacking credentials herself. Here's some advice for you, if you don't mind...go back and re-read my comment. Our main objection to the OP is her attempts at personal monetary gain from her posts here and elsewhere.

*edit* May I ask, do you think she should make money from posting here?

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 05-21-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:02 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

It's an all out girl fight, please keep the hair pulling and scratching to a minimum....