Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

My teklight T5 was the best lighting I ever had. That being said, it's hard to drop $200 on 6 lights after about 6-8 months.

It's a huge flaw unless you are loaded or don't care about how you spend money.

The D120 LEDs I have are great. My RBTA even bubbles now.

And as another mentioned, I needed to control the heat. These literally run cold. I never feel any heat dissipating from them.

I would never drop for radions or the like, as I feel they are a tip
Off with gimmicks. Like lighting. Weee. *insert sarcasm*

I'm happy I switched, even with the knowledge that my T5 lights grew everything. Super well.

Cost of bulbs was my deciding factor.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
That's probably 50% of the selling features for LED is that it runs so much cooler. If you have to buy a chiller anyway then what is the point?
Try touching the heatsink; I dare you

The thing is, both LEDs and MH "runs" hot but MH "dissipates" heat (and light) omnidirectionally (since its a round bulb) and cannot be fitted with heat sink to take away the heat. On the other hand, LEDs dissipates heat bidirectionally but emits light unidirectionally and so can be fitted with heat sink on the opposite side with heat sink to take away the heat. And hence the "runs cooler" market hype If some sort of technology comes which allows MH to be fitted with heat, that market tag line is going to be buried.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
That's probably 50% of the selling features for LED is that it runs so much cooler. If you have to buy a chiller anyway then what is the point?
I'm not sure if I'd say it's 50%, but definitely high on the 'pros' list for LEDs. To me a greater benefit to switching to LEDs would be the elimination of the need to replace bulbs. That would be #1 on my LEDs 'pro' column. To me, neither energy savings nor heat savings is much of a factor. During a heat wave my house is still going to get super hot. During the winter my house is still going to get super cold during the day, which will results in my heaters kicking in more often. Today I rely on my halides to warm up my tank during the cold winter days I haven't done the calculations but it's probably cost neutral or cheaper to use the halides as heaters.

Another huge benefit that people see with LEDs would be their controllability. A lot of people love being able to program their LEDs to the exact specs that they want. This isn't really a selling feature for me either though. I'm okay with lights ON and lights OFF.

Last edited by kien; 10-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 PM

At the end of the day LEDs have a lot of benefits that can be realized by the hobbyist. It's up to the hobbyist to decide if those truly are benefits to them are not. A benefit to one hobbyist might not be a benefit to someone else.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:41 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
At the end of the day LEDs have a lot of benefits that can be realized by the hobbyist. It's up to the hobbyist to decide if those truly are benefits to them are not. A benefit to one hobbyist might not be a benefit to someone else.
+1

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

2010 called and wants its thread back.

I do miss 2010 tho!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
2010 called and wants its thread back.

I do miss 2010 tho!
These threads are fun. It's pretty much the only thing worth talking about in reefing these days. Or those days too. And probably days to come.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Can't believe all the LED haters!!! Did they buy the wrong LED's, or use the wrong program/mode, or wrong intensity for their tank? Or maybe the the LED's are a good excuse for other problems in their tank?

I had T5's before, and you couldn't pay me enough to ditch my Radion LED's (have both Gen 1 and 2). I am very happy with the fast growth and colour of my SPS. And not to mention all the other benefits, including economic with the low power, low heat and not having to keep replacing bulbs.

Well, at the least should be lots of cheap used LEDs available in the next little while. Then next year, they will be switching back to LEDs...

But hey, what do I know... I am still a neophyte reef keeper.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Can't believe all the LED haters!!! Did they buy the wrong LED's, or use the wrong program/mode, or wrong intensity for their tank? Or maybe the the LED's are a good excuse for other problems in their tank?

I had T5's before, and you couldn't pay me enough to ditch my Radion LED's (have both Gen 1 and 2). I am very happy with the fast growth and colour of my SPS. And not to mention all the other benefits, including economic with the low power, low heat and not having to keep replacing bulbs.

Well, at the least should be lots of cheap used LEDs available in the next little while. Then next year, they will be switching back to LEDs...

But hey, what do I know... I am still a neophyte reef keeper.
denial....denial
Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I ran 110W VHO from 1999-2001

I ran 400W radiums from 2001-2008 with VHO supplements

I ran T5's from 2009-2010

I purchased T5s for my last aquarium as my goals had changed......I used them for one month after seeing a Vertex Illumina in person then sold the fixture.

Today, for a mixed reef I would go LED, for an SPS tank I would go with 400W 20k halides with VHO supplements, or perhaps LED supplements as a second choice.

Tags
aqua digital, pukani