Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM

b_james is on a distinguished road
Default Tank Blow out

I know at some point most people in the hobby may at some point experience some sort of tank disaster.. we my time came on Sunday. Here is what happend.

My tank is a 93 Gal Cube (Marineland). I decided to drill the bottom of the tank to use as a closed loop dual canister system. Nothing new, as I have had similar setups in the past with larger tanks. My wife and I spent the entire Saturday taking down the aquarium and setting up a 60 gal cube temporary life support system while we reconfiger the main tank. 10 hours later we had all the occupants back into the main aquarium. Everything went very well except for a small drip at one of the front bulkheads. No problem, a quarter turn of the nut and some silicone fixted that. Over the next 12 hours everything was running well, and the tank looked beautiful. We spent Sunday morning picking up some more bottom dwealing sand sifters and snails. Everything seems to be falling into place we were we just waiting for the last loach to swim out of the bag. A few minutes later, just as the last fish swam out of the bag into the aquarium, I hear a loud 'thud' sound... followed by water dripping. My wife and I imediatly looked at each other thinking the same thing. A few seconds later the sound of water increased and started flowing out all sides of the tank. Thankfully we did not carry the temperary tank downstairs and still have all the hoses, pumps within close proximity. Well my wife and I went into panic mode positioning the temp cube tank on the floor, gathering all the pails / nets, and pumping water, siphoning water into pails, and through the python connected to the sink.

Looking at the damage, the bottom glass cracked from the rear corner bulkhead all the way across diagonally to the other side of the tank. The 4 3/4" bulkheads were positioned in each corner 6" x6" from the corner. I blame the disaster on myself, as I think the problem was caused from over tightening the rear bulkhead. ???

So right now I have the entire system sitting in the middle of the living room floor as a temporary system with all occupants / plants. This sucks as we near the holiday season. So right now my wife and I are searching for a new set up. Hopefully we can get something made befor Christmas.

150 Gal Deep Dimension Cube, with Model 2 sump/filter, CO2 reactor, milwakee pH controller, auto-top off, 2 radion LED lighting, Vortech MP40 cor internal circulation.