Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Kona will be nice! Too bad holidays have to end. I've decided next year we're going somewhere disgusting, so it feels good to be home.
That's an awesome idea!!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Kona will be nice! Too bad holidays have to end. I've decided next year we're going somewhere disgusting, so it feels good to be home.
I'll prep the spare room for you. Don't mind the snake on the dresser. Its the bird in the next room that bites.

Edit: Oh and bring me some cool frags when you come!

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 01-28-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... next Xmas, Maui again or do we go to PG? Tough choice
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

We're going to Maui at the end of Feb. Any snorkeling recommendations for that time of year? We're staying in Kehei.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM

La Perouse Bay, Mile 13, Black Rock, and be sure to go out to Molokini. We weren't going to do the snorkel cruise this year, but changed our mind on Friday, mostly to see the whales. This was our second time on Quicksilver and we very highly recommend them!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks, will check them out. Did Molokini last time (still have the Quicksilver t-shirt), and will try for a deal to there again. Can't remember the names of the bays, but in the past have been to some great spots on the north side, but most times it was too rough out there. Always looking for suggestions, though, as I know there are a lot of little, sometimes hidden away, spots that aren't in the brochures.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

South of Kehei is the resort area of Wailea. Drive through Wailea and go to an area called "The Dumps." You will drive through a massive lava field from the most recent eruption. The road gets super windy and narrow through the Ahihi-Kinaʻu Natural Area Reserve. You'll see cars crammed along the side of the road and people with snorkeling gear. Drive past until you see see a gravel/lava stone parking lot with a couple shipping containers and port-a-potty's. This is the "the Dumps." Leave nothing in your car. Go between 6-10am before the wind comes up. There is not much sun. If you are real adventurous and have a snorkeling buddy you can snorkel from La Perouse Bay (continue south past the Dumps" and swim north to the Dumps. You will be in the water for 2 hours and the loser of rock paper scissors will have to walk the road back to get the car.

Then head to Poʻolenalena Beach Park for more snorkeling and a great sunny beach. If you snorkel to the left for 300-500m along the shore you will end up at "5 Graves 5 Caves" which the charter snorkeling companies take you tourists to and call it "Turtle Town." Ya there is turtles.

South of Kehei the Old Maui Prince (has a new name today) has awesome snorkeling too.

Don't bother paying for the snorkeling tour to the Molokini Crater. It is not bad just not worth the $'s IMO.

Go back to Kehei, shower up and then go back to Wailea and do the public walk along the boardwalk that fronts all the high end resorts in Wailea.

That should keep you busy. Enjoy Maui.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post

Go back to Kehei, shower up and then go back to Wailea and do the public walk along the boardwalk that fronts all the high end resorts in Wailea.
Thanks, more good suggestions to check out.

We are staying at the Mana Kai Maui (have stayed there before) which is right next to Wailea, and yes, great place for walking on the beach. Great place for sunsets too, esp with a bottle of wine to kill...

I will be snorkeling mostly solo, my wife is not that brave, so prefer places where you can sit on the sand, and don't have to go too far out to find good snorkeling.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

The beach at Poʻolenalena Beach Park is the best combination of sun, sand and snorkeling. It is the locals choice for south Maui beaches. If you go to the "Dumps" you drive past Makena Beach or "Big Beach" also. Don't bother with the main parking lot. Just stop on the side of the road and walk 20 feet through the forest. It is post card picturesque but not much snorekling.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Tyler, you must take notes

Last week, due to high surf,the normally clear La Perouse was very milky. The locals say the farther south you go in these conditions the worse it gets.

I don't think we can go on another snorkel cruise again, simply because I don't think it could ever be as good. Molokini was OK, but the whales were amazing and everywhere, dolphins swam with our boat, the crew was fantastic... and of course the $1 Mai Tais