Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Nice vid, seems like so long ago that I was in those waters (was only September hahah). That was my 2nd time to Maui, and on that trip I found my new favorite off shore snorkeling spot; black sands beach.

Just north of Big Beach, on the north side of that small volcanic mound. It's accessed by a dirt road in the bush, just looks like someone's old driveway off Makena Rd. Looks rough, but its easily accessed by car. Once in the water I followed the shorline out to around the point, had the best visibility and scenery that I'd found so far on the island, aside from chartered trips out to Molokini and Coral Gardens. This beach also lies in the strip that's referred to as Turtle Town, so there were a number of turtles hanging out there too. Only challenge with this one as it gets rocky pretty quick off shore, so you need find a valley in the rock to get off shore and out in deeper water.

If you're feeling brave you could also hit Little Beach just around the corner, it's unnoficially a clothing optional beach
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

Ya anytime the surf comes up the water gets milky for a day or two... kinda like tank maintenance day.

Honolua Bay is worth a visit to see the surf during the fall and winter months and suppostedly has good snorkeling in the summer.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Tyler, I'm totally going to pick ur brain when we go to hawaii, hopefully soon.

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.