Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road
Default 60 gallon starfire cube.

An introduction

So the second times a charm right!
I've never been much for journalism or writing a diary but I really like the idea of a tank journal. I love looking back the last 7 months of owning my biocube 29 at my progress,trials,mistakes and things I have learned. So I decided with a new tank comes a new Journey and with it a new Journal!

I have no idea how many of you actually read these things but I find them a great resource to have all my questions,comments, parameters,livestock,and throw a rock through a window moments all in one place.

It also helps you because when I inevitably do something silly either I or you guys can look back at the pages good and bad and figure out what I am doing right and what I am doing er not so right.
I'd also like to take the time to thank the members of canreef and my favorite LFS for all your help and support.

Always learning ,
~Aysha
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

New tank:
60 gallon starfire cube and stand
metal halide lighting
30 gallon sump with herbie style valves and fittings
internal overflow

So this is a big step for me after a 12 degree heat spike nuked my corals one day I decided I needed one of 2 things a fancy chiller or a bigger tank.
2 weeks later after walking into my favorite fish store something in the corner caught my eye. A friend of Steve's had left a large cube tank in the corner of his shop and I knew I had my answer.

It wasn't that much of a stretch as I had wanted a ( pretty much mythical) solana xl as a second tank and this one was dang close. The fact that it's starfire on 3 sides didn't hurt either.

I didn't pay a ton of cash for this beast but as a condition of sale I had to promise Steve that I'd come get a new skimmer (sorry canreef)and some nicknacks for the sump as soon as I could afford it lol.

Now begins the process of loading it into the house and the even more fun process of cycling it and buying more rock (my least favorite part lol)

Shopping list:
LED Lights
Skimmer
Aquarium controller
Bigger powerheads I doubt my korallia nanos are going to cut it

Photos to follow shortly.

can someone give me a rundown of the pros and cons of LEDS v.s Halide
no I can't afford radions I'm a stay at home contractor.
and the pros and cons of Arganite v.s Sugar sand?

yes google is my friend but sometimes it's easier to understand from people who've used both
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 PM

rare and exotic fish
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM

magikof7 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to magikof7

That fish is Stunning! it most have cost a fortune.

Ill be following along!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Nice! But fyi catfish arent reef safe
Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

If you look really closely, you'll notice that's not even a fish...... It's a cat
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

A Siamese fighting fish?
Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 AM

it is clearly a siamese fighting fish.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I think Marco needs his eyes checked. Clearly a Siamese fighting [cat]fish.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Grats on the purchase, the cube looks really good.

Aaah, the LED's vs MHI debate... I don't have LED's and I'm currently shopping for a Radion then will have to get a second as my new tank which is 48" in length... there are a few very good and viable options for LED's out there and I have a feeling ecotech will drop their prices in the next few months as they are coming up to a year since release and other companies are coming up and releasing their LED's (not as customizable though)

The reasons for LED's are:
- lower power consumption (way lower than a equivalent light output MHI)
- LEDs produce very little heat compared to a MHI
- in most cases a Chiller is not needed
- LED's are very customizable in terms of color/intensity depending on the fixture and the better companies will offer different upgrades as the technology evolves
- no need to replace bulbs as the leds are rated for 5+ years(some say it should last 10+ years)... in my opinion this is a big advantage as a good MHI bulb is 50-75$... On my 75 i have a fixture running 2*50w T12 atinics and 2*175 SE bulbs and to replace all bulbs a year I'm looking at about 200$ including taxes...
Now if I add the power consumption in the equation I think every few years I can purchase a new LED fixture

I did a small calculation to run a Radion for 10hours a day @121W is roughly $40/year
Vs. a MHI 250w + 2*50W atinics for the same amount of time @ $90/year + $100(cost of bulbs) + $30/year(chiller power usage) = approx $220

To run a Radion in BC costs $40/year vs $220 to run a MHI + two atinics

On a 60gallon cube, I think you might be able to get away by using one good LED fixture and save yourself some money down the road as you will not have to upgrade to LED's and get rid of the MHI+ Chiller and lets not forget the heat which those produce.

If you dont have a fixture, I vote to save a bit and get a LED coral capable fixture and honestly I'd opt for a higher end fixture over the Coralife and other cheaper LED's or if you already have a light, then run with that and save for a good LED fixture once again. Just cant beat the low maintenance cost, power cost and most important the customization... if setup right some fixtures can be controlled from a smartphone

Here is an informative vid comparing the Radion VS MHI
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM

I've got a 250 watt halide sitting here.
I figure we'll rock the cycling and setup and if all goes well we will pick up a radion in the next few months.

I'll either dive in with both feet and spend lots or decide salt is not for me.
so we will see.

thanks for that imput Ginu it's very helpful esp the calculations.
PS the chiller debate again. I think that alone makes the answer clear.

Tags
60 gallon, aysha, cube, starfire