Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 AM

DorySaid is on a distinguished road

Don't see to many clam tanks. Those looks gorgeous. I am hopeful you'll be able to nurse them back. Good luck with your build.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Very cool!

Hopefully you can find some nicely colored and patterned specimens.

Clams are looking good! Hope that squammy recovers for you.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
Very cool!

Hopefully you can find some nicely colored and patterned specimens.

Clams are looking good! Hope that squammy recovers for you.
Thank you! I've already started shopping for clams. A shop called Marine Experience out in Edmonton has a very nice selection which I've had my eyes on. Not sure how I feel about shipping clams in the middle of winter. Anyone have experience shopping from these guys?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM

I wanted to start this post with a shout out to fellow members on this forum. It's always appreciated to have a community like Canreef with members willing to help one another.

Seahorse_Fanatic gave me some rock to scape the tank with. The tank is pretty shallow which makes it pretty limiting to have grand rockscape so I plan to keep it simple.

KPG007 lent me his spare Kessil A160 to mock up my tank with, and to use it on my holding tank once this tank is up and running. Although it's not fully operational, it will work for my purposes.

JamRobo pulled a mangrove plant out for me to try in my new tank.

As for the tank build, I started out by hacking away at some of the return fittings. Space in the "sump" area is pretty limited and every millimeter counts when it comes to fitting as much equipment as possible. This fitting was getting in the way of the Bubble Magus QQ1 skimmer which I've decided to use.

Cutting down the fitting above gives me enough clearance from the return hoses to install the skimmer. You can also see that I've upgraded the return pump to a Tunze 1073.008 which I had lying around. It's the same turnover rate as the stock pump, but it uses half the energy and much quieter; going to assume it'll be more reliable too.

As mentioned, my skimmer of choice is the QQ1 from Bubble Magus. I thought about the HOB-1.5 from Aquamaxx, but it just wasn't in the budget and I had the QQ1 leftover from another tank. It is rated to filter a tank this size, so I figured I'll invest the funds on other things. If needed I can always upgrade. This skimmer worked great for me while I had it running.

Moving on, I picked up 2 of the MiniMax reactors from IM. I heard some bad reviews on these guys, but they were pretty inexpensive because I got a good deal from the LFS, and I feel like if tuned correctly they will work well. I will be running biopellets and GFO in the reactors. The biopellets should work fine. I have some skepticism about how well the GFO reactor will hold up after extended use.

Next I worked on filling up the caddy for the IM tanks. They are quite well made with different configurations that are possible.

Started up by crushing up some marinepure blocks. These are super easy to break apart with just your hands.

Will be using 1/4 of the block on this tank, rest I threw in my tain display.

This is the caddy configuration I settled on. Course sponge, fine sponge, marinepure blocks, fine sponge, carbon, fine sponge.

Here's what it looks like installed on one side.

Other side will have the filter sock. ATO feed line also mocked up with some cheap fittings from home depot. Will be run by a MJ1200 that I have lying around along with my old JBJ top off that I will be modifying slightly. I'm really just trying to set up this tank with old equipment I have lying around as much as possible.

For now the filter media and biopellets will be left sitting in one of my nano tanks so they can get established and I will be able to have a cycled tank pretty much immediately when I'm up and running.

Heater of choice was a titanium heater. Originally got the Eheim heater, but they ended up being too tall and I wasn't going to have enough outlets to have 2 heaters as a backup, so I decided to go with what I'm hoping is supposed to be more "reliable".

Here's what that all looks like together. It's pretty crowded back there, but everything fits well.

Some electrical components still to be installed. 2x PB4 will be connected to my RKE controller which will take care of this tank alongside my main display. ATO container is one I've been using on my 10G nano. Hopefully it's big enough that I don't need to refill too often.

SL1 and the JBJ ATO will be brought over from the nano tank. The JBJ I'm hoping to hook up an optical sensor to give it a bit of an upgrade. a floatswitch will be hooked up the the SL1 in case of overflow, and one other switch will go in the top off container to act as the dry run protection.

Whew! she's coming together nicely.

Some bonus pics of my rescue clams. Really amazing what couple days of good water parameters and sufficient lighting can do for a clam. Color is starting to come back and this Crocea is opening up nicely.

The Squamosa is opening up nicely too, but not sure if gaping further. It's always hard to tell. Still hanging in there though.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM

So what's left to complete this tank and get it up and running,

Lights:
I've always used LEDs from a company called SB Reef Lights. I'm very satisfied and they released their newest model not so long ago which I want to try. Part of me also want to try something new. The true and tested lights from Ecotech and Kessil are just so expensive that I don't see myself going that route. I'm also set on the idea of hanging the lights off some hangers that will be attached to the back of the stand. There's not much room to hang stuff off the aquarium rim so I don't want the light fixture arms to crowd up the rim even further.

Some type of cooling:
Not sure if there's any room left on the rim of the tank to install a hang-on fan I've ordered.

Dosing pump/dosing lines:
I will eventually get a dosing pump when needed, but what already worries me is that there is no room to hang a type of dosing line holder on the rim of the aquarium as I'm out of space as mentioned above. Things are starting to get real tight in the sump area and this seems to be the limitation of these AIO aquariums. I will have to come up with something in the future.

Last edited by Etaloche; 01-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 PM

Tank is up and running, but I lost all my livestock in my holding tank due to a recent power outage during a snow storm including 3 of the clams

Will be moving forward and updating the tank, but it might be a while before I can recoup enough to get clams back in the tank. Only one that survived was my Crocea in my main tank.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:43 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Bummer on the power outage!!!

Awesome stand score! I think you need to switch out those flowered knobs though. Hehe.

Why would you put biopellets on a new tank, especially a clam tank? Clams eat up a whack of nitrate, I'm not sure biopellets would be a good thing. Do you have a specific reason?

Bayside Corals has a bunch of Blue Squamosa and Crocea in stock right now. A few of them on the website. www.baysidecorals.com

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:02 AM

chizerbunoi is on a distinguished road

The build looks really nice. Sorry to hear about the crash/loss. How long were you without power from the storm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Bummer on the power outage!!!

Awesome stand score! I think you need to switch out those flowered knobs though. Hehe.

Why would you put biopellets on a new tank, especially a clam tank? Clams eat up a whack of nitrate, I'm not sure biopellets would be a good thing. Do you have a specific reason?

Bayside Corals has a bunch of Blue Squamosa and Crocea in stock right now. A few of them on the website. www.baysidecorals.com
Not too sure how scientifically true that is, I keep my main tank ULN and the Crocea in it has thrived for almost 2 years now. The clam tank will also be doubling up as a frag tank for my nicer SPS, so I need it to be low nutrient as well. I also like to keep my fish well fed so the biopellets should help. It will take some time for me to get the funds to get clams in the tank now as I am in the middle of trying to start up a business for my succulent plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizerbunoi View Post
The build looks really nice. Sorry to hear about the crash/loss. How long were you without power from the storm?
I was about 14 hours without power, but the holding tank was only 10G so temps went from 81 where I keep it down to 71-72 before power came back.