Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

I thought I'd try out my husband's work camera (Canon EOS M3) so I put it on all auto settings & tried it out. Big improvement but of course I have to now read the manual so I can use it semi-correctly. Still looks very purple I think but at least it's not all a blur

And of course it helps that my dog is very photogenic. Meet Dash!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

These pictures are stunning! Also who doesn’t like a puppy dog eyes photo.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Pics are nice...
Really digging the RBTAs!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:49 AM

Thanks!

If only my clowns felt that way - they completely ignore them and just like to sleep in the corner
Old 02-17-2018, 01:27 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Short of removing the clowns and reintroducing them directly into the nems (to get them to get familiar with them and the stings)

I've printed a pic of a clown in a nem and taped it to the side of the tank. The thinking is they may learn by example.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:22 AM

I did the picture thing before, full colour life size. Nada.
Then I thought when I changed tanks that I might do a trick that I saw on Melev’s Reef, pouring them into the nems via an acrylic tube (I was gonna use a water bottle instead) but the tank transfer day was too hectic. Stupid clowns...
Old 02-26-2018, 06:33 PM

Things are humming along. No noticeable increase of nuisance algae from adding the phytoplankton. However, I added a couple of "new" live rock when I did the tank transfer, one to the display and one to the sump, and I see that there is some hair algae on those whereas the old rocks are clean. Hmmm...

Chaeto has definitely grown, from a softball size to smallish cantelope.

I tried my hand at making some frags

Old 02-26-2018, 07:02 PM

Default The English Patient 2: Snape and Blondie

Just wanted to share a touching story...get your hankies out.

Last Oct, I noticed my YWG had a strange white bubble on his side. Long story short, he spent 4 long months in QT & went through multiple rounds of meds under the guidance of those more experienced than myself. Worms were expelled, improvements seen or imagined were agonized over. Meanwhile, after Snape was taken out, his significant other, Blondie (a 1" fine-striped pistol), closed up all his entrances and was not seen again. Except for transfer day, when I thought I'd lost him only to find him clinging to the corner silicone with a couple of inches of water left in the tank. I had recreated his cave in the new DT. He scooted in, promptly closed the hole with shells and disappeared again.

Finally this month, I made the judgement call to return Snape to the DT. He has not completely recovered. (Who knows why. I believe there is a parasite embedded in his flesh and will continue trying to find a successful treatment). I put him next to Blondie's hole (after removing shells) but he didn't go in. He swam around all night, clearly confused by the strange surroundings. Next morning he was under a rock at the opposite end of the 6' tank. I was sad that there was a conscious uncoupling. Then lo and behold, there was Blondie behind him cleaning out a new burrow! Wow. Somehow, after 4 months and many inches of sand, they had found each other after just a few hours! While my husband made some rude comment about what they were up to in the burrow after 4 months abstinence, I was instead reminded of my favourite love story. I only hope Snape heals in this less stressful environment.

Reunited and it feels so good...

Ferociously defending his shrimp:
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Love gobies and pistol pairs! My Yellow Watchman Goby managed to pair up with 2 pistol shrimps (came with my first 75g SW tank).
Old 03-28-2018, 05:24 AM

A few more "firsts" for this tank...

Did the first water change! (My usual schedule being the 1st of the month) It was not too bad. I'll have to work on a few things to make it easier but not much maintenance to do at this point.

I also took my little bits & pieces of frags to JL & got some store credit. I was kinda nervous, since they weren't rare acropora from Timbuktu, but they took it. Chi-ching! So proud...

I guess I'll use some of that credit on a tang after all. I believe in keeping a balanced tank & most of my fish are carnivores, except for 2 pretty small blennies. There's a few bits of hair algae here & there, so I thought it might be good to have a tang. Narrowed it down to a Kole or Yellow. I do like the looks of a Yellow more. Any input as to which would work better in my tank?

I noticed that my bonsai was looking pale, and then the rainbow monti & stylo had some spots of STN. So I decided it was time to haul out the test kits, a couple of which are new & unopened . Good news is that the chaeto is doing its job - nitrates are zero or close to it. Anyway, not surprising that I got low readings of calcium & alk, so I guess I can't procrastinate anymore on the dosing, which is something I assured my husband would not be necessary on a "fowlr" tank, haha. I had some Brightwell Two Part sitting on the shelf so I've started that, but I can see it will not last very long. Do many of you use the BRS stuff? I'm not seeing something similar from JL, and I would like something dummy proof & easy.

Other than that, everything is going well. Interesting how the tanks have gone through all these stages. I had the invasions of amphipods and bristleworms, 3 days of pineapple sponge mania, then crazy numbers of vermetids (which just disappeared recently; I think puffers finally developed a taste for them). Now there are sponges and mini brittle stars everywhere.

Sponges are cool, and in pretty shades of pink, white, purple & blue.