Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
the only time my cleaning magnet is in the tank, is when I'm using it. Once done, the thing is outta there.]
i do this and actually thought that was what the majority of people did.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:28 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
i do this and actually thought that was what the majority of people did.
I used to but got lazy plus just about everything in my tank has or currently is using my magnets as a perch snails, crabs, blennies, clownfish and sea cucumbers have all used it as a perch
Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Agree with going the insurance route. Court would be expensive and hard to prove who actually did it.
provided you have insurance and that your insurance covers something like this.

You should avoid court if possible, for sure...always.

it's basically there as a last resort.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:49 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Just read this. Ouch.

Kudos to you for your attitude, I think I would be the same way - I generally value relationships over things as well, but still would be majorly bummed about it.

I can really relate to where you are at the moment. I too look at my 280g inwall tank, and get irritated by the internal overflows (for one) - such an irritating story too about why this tank has internal overflows rather than an external (short version is the tank builder didn't want to do it because he's lazy, and apparently I'm not very good at arguments or persuasion - just ask my kids and actually I'm just sort of starting to get angry now so maybe Immachangethesubjectnowmmmmk). Anyhow. It might be better to consider replacing the glass box at some point, if staying in the hobby is something you decide to do). Anyhow, I can relate, I have some major decisions to make myself and I'm sort of torn between the options. 2015 could be an interesting year.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Just read this. Ouch.

Kudos to you for your attitude, I think I would be the same way - I generally value relationships over things as well, but still would be majorly bummed about it.

I can really relate to where you are at the moment. I too look at my 280g inwall tank, and get irritated by the internal overflows (for one) - such an irritating story too about why this tank has internal overflows rather than an external (short version is the tank builder didn't want to do it because he's lazy, and apparently I'm not very good at arguments or persuasion - just ask my kids and actually I'm just sort of starting to get angry now so maybe Immachangethesubjectnowmmmmk). Anyhow. It might be better to consider replacing the glass box at some point, if staying in the hobby is something you decide to do). Anyhow, I can relate, I have some major decisions to make myself and I'm sort of torn between the options. 2015 could be an interesting year.

I guess just a case of putting your relationship with your tank builder before your satisfaction with their work on your tank...?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Good point Yeah, it's one of those "I wish I had stood my ground" moments now, that's for sure.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:37 AM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

That really sucks. How about a really deep sandbed?! It would hide the scratches and prevent algae. Although another 6" may be a little overkill.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:51 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
In order to make myself feel better and try and get excited about it again, I picked up three new fish today. First new additions in at least a year
I sometimes feel better about my tank woes when I get new fishies

Hope you keep it up
Old 02-04-2015, 07:03 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just read this. Ouch.

To put it in context, the mother of the child in question at one point very seriously offered to be a surrogate for my partner and I. My roommate, who introduced us, and her fiancé are more like family members that by some strange accident happened to be born to different family. This is why I directed the rage here, instead of at them lol.

Quote:

If I keep this tank, the internal overflows are going. I can't stand them. More than anything else about the tank I wish I had never done them. I can say with certainty that if the box comes out of the wall, it's not going back in (both my partner and I have at times lost patience with how much of my time and money this thing consumes), but if I'm not involving a finishing carpenter, draining it and re-doing the insides are something I'd consider.

I a) want to get rid of 95% of the monitpora capricornis in the tank, b) want to buff out these scratches, c) get rid of the internal overflows and replace them with a coast to coast, and d) *may* want to nuke all my rocks to get rid of valonia, caulerpa, and aiptasia once and for all, but my rocks are soooooooo lush with sponges, wild mussels (like legit tiny muscles/clam/oyster things that seem to be reproducing in my tank), coraline and all sorts of other amazing things it might not be worth it.

Lots to do that will be lots of fun, but yah... if it gets to the point of removing the box from the wall altogether, I'll probably be out of the hobby for a few years.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
Not sure if this will work for your tank, But I have Tunze Care Magnets in all my tanks and I am impressed by the quality design. They can be left in the tank, and you would have to work really hard to scratch a tank with one. They also do a great job on the glass which is another plus
I know J%L sells them. Not sure if anyone in Calgary sells them.

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/05/t...le-brilliance/
This is exactly my plan. If Big Al's or Pisces doesn't carry them (going to check on the weekend) I'm going to order them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Adam you're the calmest one here. You're sorta killing our momentum lol. You punched SOMEONE right?
lol I haven't punched someone since high school. I did something far more productive... I bought more fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Unfortunate, but perhaps a lesson learned. May not be feasible or convenient for folks with in wall tanks that are not easily accessible, but personally the only time my cleaning magnet is in the tank, is when I'm using it. Maybe another solution would be to raise the sand bed a bit to cover the scratched areas?
I tried that for a while, but no dice. My tank has Euro-bracing and it's already so tall (my stand is extra high so my 6'4 partner didn't have to bend down to look at it) I can barely put my fingers in the water. Trying to remove and replace the wet side of the magnet when I can't reach under the euro-bracing without a ladder lasted all of 3 days when I first set it up.

And sadly, I'd need a very deep sand bed to cover these babies up. But they are well below eye level, so I can sort of pretend they're not there by keeping my eyes up lol.