Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

stealing is stealing
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap View Post
stealing is stealing
I knew you'd say that.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

Im a book. What can I say?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
There are certain times were rules can be broken and exceptions can be made for the greater good. Is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? However it is wrong to steal a loaf of bread to save a few bucks on your monthly food budget.

ahahah yeah stealing is always wrong... one is just stealing because you need to and one because you want to but it's still wrong.

Looks like we're in an endurance contest... they'll only be 2 people left to vote for in 6 months ahah

Last edited by superduperwesman; 11-20-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
Looks like we're in an endurance contest... they'll only be 2 people left to vote for in 6 months ahah
And..I'll be one of them!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:04 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
And..I'll be one of them!
ahah then I guess it'll be you and me
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 AM

scholar is on a distinguished road

Well rules are rules... if i may continue this build on this thread that would be awsome?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 AM

scholar is on a distinguished road

RULES:

Spending limits:
- 5.5g AGA= $250 CDN
- 10g AGA= $300 CDN

Not covered in budget (i.e. considered "free")

- Contest Display Tank
- Building supplies (eggcrate, stand/canopy materials, plumbing, acrylic/glass scraps, etc)
- Sand
- Live Rock
- Water and salt
- Food
- Supplements
- Accessories less than $15 (mag floats, tongs, thermometers, etc)

GENERAL GUIDELINES & RULES:

- All used equipment utilized in contest will be deducted from your budget at 75% of the lowest advertised price from J&L Aquatics.
For equipment purchased online, only deduct the actual price of the equipment from the budget, don't deduct shipping costs.

- All live stock can come from anywhere, CR Vendors, LFS, online, whatever. If you use something from a current tank, you deduct it's fair market value.
If you purchase livestock online, you deduct the actual price paid for the livestock from the budget, but don't count shipping costs.

- Tank can be purchased locally and will not count against budget. (Sump tank will count against your budget, should you choose to incorporate one)

- You can mod your tank as much as you want, as long as you start with a STOCK tank and deduct costs from your budget.

- Budget is done on the honor system since we all know what its all worth (for most things).

- There is an entry fee of $20.00, which must be received by 10/15 to lock you into the contest. These fees will be used for the prizes at the end of the contest. Entry fees are non-refundable after 10/15.

- Contest begins Oct 15, 2008 and ends April 15, 2009.

In short, you've got 6 months to make a sweet tank on a limited budget. Lighting fixtures, filters, skimmers, and livestock all count towards budget, so manage wisely.

- Start a tank thread for your contest tank by Oct 15, so we can see it's progression as it goes along. It wouldn't hurt to put a link to your contest tank thread in your sig, but I don't know that we should require it. You don't have to start your tank thread immediately, as long as you do it by Oct 15.

- On the 15th of every month, post a FTS of your tank on your thread.

- When we reach the end of the contest, Myself (or Christy) will start a thread showing all of the tanks and their specs, with an attached poll for ALL of Canreef to vote on the winners.

- The winners will receive a gift certificate to the Canreef sponsor/vendor of their choice, taken from the entry fees.

- Basically, we'll take all the $$ contributed for the entry fee and divide it up into 3 equal portions for the winning gift certificates.

michika and I will be running the contest, so if you have any questions or concerns that cannot be addressed on this thread, PM one of us.

On a final note, the goal of this contest is to HAVE FUN and just see how many CREATIVE IDEAS we can all come up with and inspire each other with.

I've done the best I can to alter this contest for fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run.
We want to keep this a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone, so...

Were in here does it say that i must provide a newly updated budget by the 15th if it hasnt changed? if this is why im getting booted out then my budget was the same as when i posted it 3 weeks back and as for a full tank pic on the 15th well there wasnt one to take... untill the last week or so there wasnt any one with the amount of pics that i have on my thread, and i still have more then the average person. in the rules it says that we must have started a thread by the 15th of oct i did that no were does it say I MUST HAVE WATER IN THIS THING even in march????????? So i guess congrats Chaloupa on the win with the 5.5

Last edited by scholar; 11-20-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Since so many rules have been changed and changed, I agree this might be one more little change. Let him stay.

"The heater is from wallmart 25watts=$12=Free" I don't think we can claim free on used heaters.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:58 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlily View Post
Since so many rules have been changed and changed, I agree this might be one more little change. Let him stay.

"The heater is from wallmart 25watts=$12=Free" I don't think we can claim free on used heaters.
i beleive that no heaters are free. freebies are only to incled stuff that is NOT a maditory port of the tank. just my feelings.

Also i have no cares to wheather or not your remain in the contest the way i see it the more the merrier.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.