Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road
Default How much do you dose?

I have a fairly large tank (290g display and another 100g sump) and I'm struggling to keep my Alk up. My tank is 95% SPS.

My question is how much do you dose per day? I'm currently dosing about 290ml of Alk per day and I'm losing ground. My CA is also high...so I'm cutting back my dosing there.

Just thought I could get some examples of what other people have to put into the tank each day.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:03 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I'm at 165 mL of Alk and 162 mL of calcium a day using... can't remember the brand. One of the ones that comes in boxes and costs too much money. Mixed according to their instructions weighed out with a food scale.

I find it keeps my alk and calcium balanced, but as my tank has recovered from it's most recent disaster, I'm finding I can't keep on top of it either. I up the rate by 10 mL every week, and adjust it after the water change, but I've been having a hard time keeping it above 7. Calcium hovers between 360 and 400.

The amount you dose will have a lot to do with the concentration of your solution, what product are you using and what are you mixing it at (g/L)?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I'm sure it is but is your mag staying at a good level Alk won't rise or stay high with a low or fluctuating mag level, that's about all I can think about. Also I've read some stuff on GFO and Alk levels changing out too fresh gfo can drop alk levels a bit

Just my 2 Cents
Old 11-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for responding. I am using up the last of my BRS Soda Ash in my latest batch and I mix it as per their directions, 2 x 8oz cups for 1 Gallon of RODI water. My Doser does 1.1ml per minute and I dose 11 minutes every hour.

I haven't tested Mag in about a month but I was at 1320 last time I tested. CA is currently at 500 and I've cut back on the doser for this. It was maintaining at about 430-440 for the longest time, but something has changed and my CA went up over the last month.

I use a Kalk stirrer with my ATO but due to how it needed to be setup, very little of my ATO water goes through it (about 10% at max) while the remaining 90% is pure RODI.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Reactor Mark........
Old 11-21-2014, 04:59 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road

My hose came off my doser last week and my alk has been low too and high Ca. I just cracked open a window last night beside the tank and it seems to have stabilized the alk a bit better. I read somewhere about having high CO2 the alk won't absorb as well. It could be just coincidence but my alk finally stayed over 7.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

About 500g of water and I dose 384ml per 24 hours, relatively new tank with Coralline algae growing like crazy lots of frags I use three part dosing.

Alk is @160ppm and Calcium is 410 and Mag is 1380
Old 11-21-2014, 10:52 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

I have never dosed alk.. what do you have that you need to dose? Sorry newb question....
Old 11-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM125 View Post
I have never dosed alk.. what do you have that you need to dose? Sorry newb question....
No worries about the newb question. My tank is quite populated with corals, specifically SPS corals who absorb the CA and Alk and Mg during their growth. Without it, they stop and become very unhappy corals. You can offset this with water changes some but the larger your tank, the larger the water changes...which become cost prohibitive.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:51 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
Alk is @160ppm and Calcium is 410 and Mag is 1380
Remind me what 160ppm is in dKh