Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 AM

fishmanty is on a distinguished road
Default Ty's 150gal Project

Decided to start this so I can keep track of my plans for a 150g (5x2x2), and get tips/suggestions towards making it even better.

First off, I've been out of the SW life for 4-5 years while I finished a degree. Now I have it, so its back into the hobby. I will be setting up a 45gal cube shortly here to get my by until I'm ready to setup a bigger tank. Lots of this equipment below will be tested on the 45gal, and if I'm not sold on it, I'm changing it prior to the 150gal being setup.

Equipment:
Tank: 150gallon - 5'x2'x2' starphire, internal overflow with a herby system. 2 returns.
Sump: Undecided so far. Not sure what will work best for a reef tank (Going to give a go at SPS this time around)
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Nac7
Heater: 300watt Titanimum controller off a controller. 100watt backup (Want to keep it small enough that if it gets stuck on, it shouldn't be able to fry my tank in a hurry)
Controller: ReefKeeper Elite with ORP/pH module (Only going to monitor Temp and pH though) also with net adapter (For fun) and 8 plugins
Doser: GHL 3 head doser controller with balling salts and three 2.5L canisters
Sand: Caribsea Live sand (Same story with trying it in the 45gal first)
Flow: 1 MP40w ES (So far, if it goes well on the 45 I will get more)
Lights: 1 Radion (Same story, if I like it, I'll get more for the 150gal - probably 3)
Return Pump: Undecided. Something quiet and efficient. Quiet is the number one priority
RO system: BRS 75gpd 5stage with drinking water attachments and vessel(So I can add it to my kitchen if I so please)

Corals:
Not quite there yet... Lots of brancy SPS and such, as I'm a sucker for those. Still got lots to research... however with all the amazing frags I keep seeing, I suspect it will be a buy whats for sale kind of deal through canreef.

Fish:
2 clowns, with probably a neon green carpet
Cleaner shrimp
Archilles tang
Something that schools - Couple tangs maybe, but don't want to overload my tank too fast, so maybe just some chromis'
Usual cleanup crew

So, I'm definitely up for any tips/suggestions/etc for this system, as I want to put the time in now and do it right. I was never fully satisifed with my old setups, and I want this one to be a dream setup for me.

Last edited by fishmanty; 04-18-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Great to see another getting back into it.

Sump selection is a personal preference. Read lots. Deep sand beds are still in use. Miracle mud not so much. Many now prefer to just run Chaeto in what used to be a 'fuge and keep the sump 'clean'.

Your Bubble Magus Nac7 choice, I feel, will be too small for your 150g w/sump. Once you add a sump to it, you may want to look at something rated 50% or more higher than your total volume, like this one ( just an example ).

For heaters, I dont' like using larger heaters due to cooking issues, but you may prefer to use titanium over glass. You may want to have your mains be a group of smaller ones, such as 4 x 200-250s. I'm basing this on 5w/g and you getting a 75g sump, so 225g total. Decide now what size you want for you 150g and you can add more later. A 200 will do it for your 45g, but you would need 4 more for the 150g. I like your idea of using a backup. I went crazy and have, with 110g total, 3 x 200watt on a RKE and 2 x 250w on a Ranco controller as backup.

Many will tell you live sand is a waste of money.

A single MP40wES is a good start with the 45g as you will need 2 of them in the 150g. Some say they are too noisy, but I like mine.

Radion is a great choice. There are others, but I have no experience to share.

Return pump selection will need to be based on the current tank, IMO.

I see you're in AB. Test your tapwater TDS and see if you need to have DI on your RO.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck and post lots of pics
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 AM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

What you want sounds not bad... I am running a single 300W Finnex on a RKL on my 120 & it keeps me right at 78F. You are in Lloyd so there are a couple systems here that you can check out running Radions, I'm running 2.

You will need 2 mp40s for sure on the 150, I have 1, and plan on adding another when I have some spare change lying around.

If you ever want to stop by & check out my system, it is as quiet as I could make it, much quieter than the 33 I just shut down. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to see it
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Great to see another getting back into it.

Your Bubble Magus Nac7 choice, I feel, will be too small for your 150g w/sump. Once you add a sump to it, you may want to look at something rated 50% or more higher than your total volume, like this one ( just an example ).

For heaters, I dont' like using larger heaters due to cooking issues, but you may prefer to use titanium over glass. You may want to have your mains be a group of smaller ones, such as 4 x 200-250s. I'm basing this on 5w/g and you getting a 75g sump, so 225g total. Decide now what size you want for you 150g and you can add more later. A 200 will do it for your 45g, but you would need 4 more for the 150g. I like your idea of using a backup. I went crazy and have, with 110g total, 3 x 200watt on a RKE and 2 x 250w on a Ranco controller as backup.

Many will tell you live sand is a waste of money.

Radion is a great choice. There are others, but I have no experience to share.

Return pump selection will need to be based on the current tank, IMO.

I see you're in AB. Test your tapwater TDS and see if you need to have DI on your RO.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck and post lots of pics
I'm lucky enough to work with the utilities at a site near by that pulls from the lloydminster water (IE North Saskatchewan River), so I'm very intune with the TDS and when it is on the rise due to spring run off, like right now. I'll probably get the DI on the RO just because. I'm bad for those kind of things.

Good point with the NAC7 comment. I did worry about that a bit when I was looking at sizes. If I'm putting the money in pumps and lights, I might as well spread the love to the Skimmer.

Radion will be a trial. Not sure if I'm sold on the cost vs reward, ya know?

I have no idea what you could include in a dry bagged sand that makes it "live". lol, I'm just gonna try some in the 45g and see if I like more of the color and feel of it, rather than the "Beneficial bacteria in every bag!" :P
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic111 View Post
What you want sounds not bad... I am running a single 300W Finnex on a RKL on my 120 & it keeps me right at 78F. You are in Lloyd so there are a couple systems here that you can check out running Radions, I'm running 2.

You will need 2 mp40s for sure on the 150, I have 1, and plan on adding another when I have some spare change lying around.

If you ever want to stop by & check out my system, it is as quiet as I could make it, much quieter than the 33 I just shut down. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to see it
Will do on the stopping by!

I plan on a second mp40w es for the wave making abilities, and connection to radions if I stick with them. I do am waiting for the spare change to start showing up. :P
Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If you're unsure about the Radions, try starting off with T5HO and see where they take you. Only downside is transferability from a 45 to a 150.
It doesn't cost much for T5s for a 45 and you may like them enough to get something for the 150 later.

If you do get DI, don't forget to tee off your plumbing as you don't want to drink it.