Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-16-2006, 10:19 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

If your looking for some number comparisons between halides and T5s check out the lighting and filtration forum on RC. Lots of tests have been done comparing the two. If you are sceptical about how well they work, look at any tank that is using them.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 PM

nickb is on a distinguished road

There are lots of stores selling the T5 bulbs (and endcaps, etc.) but I am looking for intact systems since I don't want to DIY a hood on this tank. J&L sells the Giessman T5 light system but only in 48" size and up. Oceanaquatics does sell a 24" Tek T5 system which looks nice (if a bit expensive) - thanks for the pointer. I couldn't find a Hidden Reef in Canada.

Out East, none of the stores I checked seem to carry a T5 system except AuqariumLight.com (which only stock 54W bulb systems - 48" I think).

Not sure what I'm going to do but many thanks for the pointers and discussion.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:15 AM

ron101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob
If your looking for some number comparisons between halides and T5s check out the lighting and filtration forum on RC. Lots of tests have been done comparing the two.
I did a quick check over there but didnt come up with anything - you know how big threads can get on RC. Regardless, what I think is needed is a controlled A/B comparison with variables accounted for, something like what Sanjay does. Numbers that other reefers provide have to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob
If you are sceptical about how well they work, look at any tank that is using them.
I am not skeptical about how well they work, but about T5 lamps having a definite numerical advantage over metal halide.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 AM

Squiddy is on a distinguished road

I love my T5's. Remember that most of the T5's you see in stores are the normal output ones.. like the CoraLife brand T5's. If you get T5's, be sure to get the high output bulbs. I got my 6x54W retro kit from reefgeek in the US. The only thing that I don't get that I would get with halides, is the shimmering effect. If I did it again, I would go T5 .