Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2021, 05:27 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default The choice

Recently I went through my worst tank crash to date. I have had a few throughout the years where I had mass coral die off, others brought on by not being able to maintain my tank (hospital for 6 days after a heart attack) and one through outright tank negligence.

This time due to a combination of factors through work (I work 12 hr shifts) and excessive overtime and ongoing medical issues (getting old sucks) and generally neglecting my tank it crashed over a period of 5 days I lost all but 2 fish all but one coral and left with a massive hair algae explosion. Ironically my snail population has bloomed and my glass is loaded with snail egg trails.

I have been slowly putting my tank back in order after much pondering as whether to continue with the tank or not, start fresh or buy a new tank or leave the hobby totally. In the end I decided that as long as I have fish and inverts alive that I would give them a fighting chance but it hasn’t been easy or fun making choices and I did struggle with depression and a sense of loss before deciding to move forward but we will see what the future brings.

This hobby loves to send you through the wringer that’s for sure.