Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 AM

jayyss is on a distinguished road
Default Reef tank that was redone .

My tank has been going for around a year and half , due to my poor choice of aquascape which consisted of a wall of rock I had a lot of problems with flow not being able to get to a lot of the area which caused algae in those spots cyano among other things . I decided to redo the entire aqua scape remove all the sand around 75% of the water . When I was finished doing the tank so I could have an open concept and proper flow I ended up taking out I would say 70% of the live rock with base rock bare bottom now and have been dosing microbactor 7 for the first week , I have a lot of corals in the tank no fish very little inverts . Now here is my concern after all of that , I will be adding two fish this coming weds , the tank has not had fish in the tank for two weeks and I’m worried with very little live rock if that will cause an ammonia spike or maybe the biological filter in my tank can’t sustain two fish at once. Would I be better of doing 1 or would 2 fish be safe to do also adding around 12 snails since I had not a lot in the tank prior to the redo of the tank . I have a uv sterlizer on the tank also rowa phos ,carbon , and cotton balls as precautions , also a skimmer as well in my tank . Since the redo of the entire tank corals are 10 times happier showing signs of growth and some that looked rough are bouncing back . Would really appreciate any input if adding two fish to a tank that has not had any in the tank in two weeks and limited live rock will cause a lot of harm to the tank , appreciate anyone who comments and if you need anymore information to make a better assessment ask please . I don’t want to make the mistake of doing it and cause my tank to ammonia spike or worse something happened where I lose a lot of corals .
Old 11-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

2 fish shouldn't add too much ammonia to the tank unless we're talking about a 20 gallon. What are your parameters?
Old 11-09-2020, 03:58 PM

Sorry the tank is a 40 gallon tank
Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Parameters
Salinity 35 ppt
Alk 8.2
Nitrates 4
Ammonia 0
Calcium 440
Old 11-09-2020, 08:50 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

As Warren stated adding 2 fish won't be a big deal, as long as you don't overfeed or leave uneaten food in the tank.
You will get some ammonia so don't add the snails for a week or so.
Get some Dr Tim's One and Only, or Instant Ocean BioSpira. The latter is probably the best available locally. Barring lack of availability on those 2 Seachem Stability works too but only for ammonia.
Turn off the UV as per directions.