Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't done a update on my tank journal for some time I have just been so busy with work summer as I'am sure you can all relate.
In case your wondering the new upgrade tank was doing great ! All the corals sps were responding well and encrusting and growing nicely .
But it happened to me I have been dealing with a huge tank crash I think I have lost around twenty or so corals. It started with a little bleaching and than it just went out of control from there .
What I have left is a few zoanthids and a green and red monti cap . I have had a salt water tank for the last five years . I started with a 33 gal and than a 90 gal and just last march I got my custom 152 gal so this is not new to me but the crash was .
Since I have a lot of room I thought I would post some pictures of the new aquascaping . It give the tangs lots of room to swim around . There is lots of sweet new spots for new sps frags !!!!

Sorry for the crappy iphone photos . The little man has been a big help withe the crash he is allways up for a water change
Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your coral losses

Is it possible you suffered the same issues I'm going through ... too low nutrients ?

I've been trying to cram food into my tank as I don't have enough fish yet to keep my corals fed
Old 08-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Han Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Sorry to hear about your coral losses

Is it possible you suffered the same issues I'm going through ... too low nutrients ?

I've been trying to cram food into my tank as I don't have enough fish yet to keep my corals fed
I think it went down hill after I left my tank with a friend who likes to feed A LOT . My nitrate no3 got a little high so I went water change crazy . Than I may have got some bad salt because my magnesium dropped to 800 in a matter of two weeks after some big water changes. So I think from this point on , I am going to just wait and see how things unfold . The few corals I have left still look a little rattled but my prams are looking better my nitrate seams to be stuck at about 15ppm tho . I am thinking about running bio-pellets .
Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I neglected my tank for awhile like 6 to 8 months, I can't remember.... Anyhow I am not proud to admit but my alk was at 4.5 ca 900 and mg800. Corals were definately not happy. Since then it's been a total 180 and the tank is looking fantastic.

Which salt are you using? You should do a test after your new first batch of saltwater is made up, from there you will be able to determine how much to adjust up your major 3. For me I use IO and the batches are pretty consistent, I only have to bump the mg up 200 and the other 2 are acceptable.

You'll have your tank running optimal in no time. We all have been through the bad times in this hobby, it's part of learning and gaining experience.

If you have a higher load of fish it's good to run BP, that will allow you to feed more. I noticed corals react well to heavy broadcast feeding that I have started to do it 2 times a week. I usually leave the return off for 3-5 hrs add some lps amino and gut load the fish, the amino triggers a crazy feeding response and gives me a chance to feed my Lps without fish snatching it. I love that frozen cyclopeze product at JL. The red square pack, noticed my sps polyps grabbing those aswell.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Han Solo

The salt I am using was reef crystals . From now on I will always check my water change water especially when doing large water changes like I was.
I also picked up this today, I hope this will help with keep the sps happy . I am Just not sure how much bio pellets to start with I don't need another horror story . My tank is I think about 150-155gal sump is a about 40 gal so total system is around 190 ish .
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

If you want to accurately I mean really accurately measure use water dissipation, if not do the cross multiply of 250mls = 1 cup

Or I'm sure there is an online calculator I think I used 1/3rd of what what the max recommended dose I wouldn't expect you seeing any change in your nitrates for 5-8 weeks due to it needs to culture the bacteria!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Han Solo

Default Franken Light

So I really wanted a Giesemann 250w t5 led fixture but since they are $3300 bones I got thinking how can I make my old aqualight Pro 250w better. Well for starters I can pull out those stupid pc lights I mean do they even do anything ?

I added a led strip for a nice actinic look for sun rise and sun set . The real problem is I just have to many dark spots with just the two 250 w lights so why not add two 150w lights to my 48" aqualight so I did and it looks sweet.

I bought a old 72 " aqualight pro for sale on canreef and spent the day puling the old light apart and re-fitting the new lights in. I put the two 150w on the ends and the 250w in the centre. The outer lights are 1200k and the inner are 1400k .

I really like being able to have both the 1200k look and the 1400 k look. Its so cool . Some times in the evening 250 w at 1400 k can be a little bright and having the option of runing 150w at 1200k is really nice its much warmer and very natural looking

[/IMG]

700w of awesomeness and a little bit of red neck innovation

Last edited by WarDog; 02-07-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Those are some sleek DIYs right there! Awesome MHing

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Han Solo

Thanks Raied !! Oh ya 250+250+150+150 =800 dugh
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post