Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-24-2003, 05:00 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road
Default ground faults/moisture detection and power outlets

are any of you people using ground fault devices to detect moisture and/or leaks, like in a hot tub? just wondering if they're recommended or if anyone has any comments on them.

also, how many power outlets are you people using on your tanks? i'm assuming you're all using power bars, i've worked it out and i need 12 outlets! :shock:

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 02-24-2003, 05:14 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Hey Quinn,
I do not use a GFI on my tanks.
you also have to remember that timers take up about 2 or 3 spots on the powerbars cause their size.
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 02-24-2003, 06:15 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

my whole tank is on two different GFI's I have been zapped befor and I like it when something stops it :shock:

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:53 AM

golden69_ca is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to golden69_ca
Default gfi plugs

your crazy not to use one . all you have to do is go to home depot and pic up A wall socket that is gfi . they are cheap and easy to install . if you know alittle about electrical work you can have one gfi wall outlet protecting all your plugs in one room. take it from me i have been shocked with voltages from 24volt to 600volt 3 phase ( this one stoped my heart for a bit) :shock: not fun . it does not take much to kill . for the little expence that could save your life , do it .

take care
Old 02-24-2003, 02:43 PM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road

I took my GFI out after three days. I didn't like coming home to a cold dark tank.
there is an equal and opposite revision.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau2301
I took my GFI out after three days. I didn't like coming home to a cold dark tank.
That's the reason I don't run one as well. Just imagine being on holidays or just away for the day and having your gfi tripping just after you leave and comming home to everything dead.
No thanks
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 02-24-2003, 04:58 PM

reefphish is on a distinguished road
Default Can you put GFI on only a few of the outlets?

I''m just starting to plan out my electrical set up for my sump space.

I was thinking of putting gfi on the outlets, but having seperate circuits for each plug... dont want one bad circuit to turn off everything. Is this possible?

Anybody set up a number of dedicated outlets for their tanks... what config did you come up with?

Jon, what are you planning for your reef basement setup?

cheers,

John
Old 02-24-2003, 05:15 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

my current plans are to add two circuits to my room for a total of three, one for the metal halides, one for all the other tank stuff (pumps, heaters...), and one for everything else (two computers, etc.). i am going to put 10 plugins enclosed in the stand itself.

how much moisture is required to trip a GFI? perhaps i should just be getting some type of alarm system rather than something that will shut off power. it's leaks onto my carpet i'm concerned about, not water getting into wiring.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Having just read through that longgggggg thread on RC on this topic ... Reefphish, your question reminds me about what Randy Holmes-Farley said about his setup.

A GCFI plug for each electrical device with a plug!!! Wow, that must be some panel he's got.

Your typical plug in has a little notch that you can cut out so that the two plugs become independent and need their own wiring. Not having looked at a GFCI backside recently, I think that even if a GFCI has the same feature, that it probably means only one plug would be GFCI since I imagine they only have the circuitry only once. So basically I think what you're asking, the answer is no -- both plugs are together.

But what you could do, is something like this. Go purchase two replacement appliance cords (you know, the molded plug on one end, bare wires on the other end). An outdoor receptable box (you can get them in PVC), and then two GFCI's. Wire up the GFCI's in the box, use the appliance cord to plug into the other receptable. Mount these new boxes in your stand, or wherever ... and presto, you've got two GFCI's out of each plug on your receptable on the wall, and you didn't even need to remove anything out of the wall.

Just a thought anyways.. I would think that having multiple GFCI's is better than one "all encompassing GFCI" for the reasons already expressed -- that it sucks to come home and find your tank has been flatlined for who knows how long. At least this way if one device trips, it only shuts off itself, and everything else gets to hum along happily.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:25 PM

John,
I am planning on having 6 or so 20A outlets in the room. 2 alone would be for the lighting above the tank and the other 4 or so around the room.
I don't have any plans to include GCFI's and If I did then I would add them the way that tony mentiones.
That make the most sense to me.
www.cakerybakery.ca