Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Reef Pilot, I clean the glass with a Magfloat. If you haven't heard of them they are the best thing you'll ever buy for your tank. So far I can still reach the front of the tank from the back and with the return pump shut off I can view it all from the top down.
Haha,... yeah, I know what a mag float cleaner is, and use one every couple days. I was thinking of more serious cleaning, like coralline algae, or even your rock and sand on that side. And arranging your corals and rock.

Maybe you have more room than I do, but I even break corals accidentally when I can see what I am doing...

Anyway, should look good as an in-wall. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

There is an attachment for the magfloats that allow you to add a razor blade to them. It does a terrific job removing coraline if used regularly (once a month in my case) http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cl...g+Magnets.html

I don't do anything to clean the rock or sand.

This is the same tank that I've had since 2006 so I really don't move things around much anymore. But if reaching through the back becomes too much of a nuisance later I can always cut an opening in the front and make up some doors.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 AM

I'll hang a new background on clips for easy removal later but here is a FTS for now. There are fish in there somewhere… powder blue tang, tomato clown, fu man chu lion fish, copper banded butterfly and a new snowflake moray. The purple tang is in the frag trough with a tail spot blenny.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Looks good, make sure not to cheap out like I did and buy the dust free drywall mud. Tank looks very clean, what kind of a top do you have on there with the eel?

360 Reef Tank
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 AM

No top. I had the previous snowflake for 8 years until it developed a big lump/tumour and died last spring. In that time it never jumped or showed interest in escaping so I've got my fingers crossed that this new one will be the same.

I'll be sure to buy the better mud but I probably won't tape/mud the inside of the room anyways. I might just insulate and poly it for sound dampening and to protect the insulation from getting wet.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 AM

BackPackHunter is on a distinguished road

Just read this whole thread
Very nice set up.
Following along
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM

I had to do a little equipment shuffling and re-plumb the overflow to make everything fit a bit better. But I got the board up so things are looking a lot better from the outside at least.

I'm going to need to use a different de-humidistat though. The DewStop sensor doesn't kick in and turn the exhaust fan on until the room reaches 80% which is okay for a bathroom but too high for the tank room. It has been up near 30 degrees Celsius and 60% humidity in there all of the time so I'm going to install an adjustable sensor to run more often.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Looks awesome!

I have my inwall setup the same way, front and right side viewable. It's a nice blend between the clean inwall look and the additional viewing angles that multisided gives you.

There are times I wish I had given myself cabinet door access on the front. Would have made for easier target feeding my LPS and 'nems (although I make do with the access from the tank room so it's not a huge loss). At the beginning I really wanted a quiet tank and I figured cabinet doors would let equipment noise escape into the living area. Having switched to LED's my cooling fans have never turned on once though so the irony is I keep my tank room door open all the time anyhow.

Still though I think the inwall look has this "public aquarium" look. It's a nice separation: from the front it's all about viewing the animals; from the tank room it's all about running the system.

What is the black thing on the floor next to your skimmer waste collector?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Do you think your going to need a chiller for the summer months? Or you going to give LEDs a go? Hard to tell in the pic but did you use that gyproc that's moisture resistant? There's huge chunks of gyproc falling in to NEs tank. Been like that for over a year and they still won't fix it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 AM

Yes I used green board because despite my best efforts I always splash a little water around. I have the ability to run the ceiling fan constantly now that I've installed a regular de-humidistat (not pictured) and there is a window right beside the tank room doorway so I should be okay in the summer. I don't remember, does NE have any active venting for their tank room?

The thing on the floor is the protective cap for the CO2 tank.

The quick part is done. I'll post some new pictures once I've finished off the area and hung the door… or pictures from the PG Tank Tour. Whichever comes first.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM