Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

Here is a video from a customer who put a couple LEDs above his 6 foot 130G tank.

http://youtu.be/TRh1jUp_r7I
Old 09-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
The scary thing most people is twofold when it comes to LED lighting first off is the cost a good set of lights will definitely hurt the pocketbook (including DIY lighting)and secondly having powerful enough LEDs to reach the bottom of deeper tanks and having the correct colour spectrum to promote growth and colour.

Once I save up the coinage I will be switching to LEDs on my big tank but that will be awhile in coming.
My tank is 30" deep. I would consider that as being a deep tank. I grow SPS quite well on the sandbed. I cannot have any chalice nor other LPS directly under them as they will bleach. I do run at 100% for a couple of hours each day though. So the info you are reading is not correct.

Last edited by Madreefer; 09-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Cost of entry is definitely high, but there are good LED units that are quite reasonably priced. For example, you can get an AI Sol unit for roughly $400. In my mind that's pretty reasonable. Of course you can easily go up in cost from there to the Mitras at $1200 (retail) per unit. Not everyone needs a $1200 Mitras though. There are plenty of people (as we've seen in this thread) doing quite well with their $400 AI Sols :-)
Keep in mind you'll need 2 sols for 1 Mitra so really comparing $800 to $1200 which isn't as big of a gap. Then when you compare features like built in controller, full spectrum and so on you may conclude the Mitra is also pretty reasonable

There are lower cost units that get the job done but ultimately you're getting what you paid for. Like the D120s, I had to open the fixture up to change the power cord orientation. Doing so I discovered it's basically just a thin aluminium plate with LEDs directly mounted to that, wired to two basic power supplies with a dimmer and three noisy cheap fans. Pretty obvious why they are so cheap but they do work and whatever I put under them seems to do really well but it's a shallow tank so the output is really low, not sure I'd trust the cooling capabilities at full power.

Last edited by sphelps; 09-23-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Keep in mind you'll need 2 sols for 1 Mitra so really comparing $800 to $1200 which isn't as big of a gap. Then when you compare features like built in controller, full spectrum and so on you may conclude the Mitra is also pretty reasonable
Yes, it's definitely reasonable if you need all of those features. Not everyone needs all those bells and whistles though. As demonstrated in this thread, there are lots of nice tanks running LED lights without any controllers or full spectrum. I'm not about to tell those people that they need more expensive Mitras :-)

And yes, if you want the same output as a Mitras, then you will have to add additional (cheaper units). But then again, not everyone needs the kind of output that the Mitras provides. There are people dialing down the output of LED units that have less maximum output than the Mitras.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Yes, it's definitely reasonable if you need all of those features. Not everyone needs all those bells and whistles though. As demonstrated in this thread, there are lots of nice tanks running LED lights without any controllers or full spectrum. I'm not about to tell those people that they need more expensive Mitras :-)

And yes, if you want the same output as a Mitras, then you will have to add additional (cheaper units). But then again, not everyone needs the kind of output that the Mitras provides. There are people dialing down the output of LED units that have less maximum output than the Mitras.
More of a spread issue than output relating to using multiple units. For example if you need to cover 36x36" you really can't use 1 sol regardless how low your light demands are, unless you hang it unpractically high that is.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:37 AM

A work in progress but my latest LED tank, seems fit to post it here seeing it's a play on my old LED fluval edge I previously posted

Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

Last edited by dino; 07-13-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM

lemon604 is on a distinguished road
Default 30 gal LED

I have this 30 gal with LED since 2008. I can only grow soft corals.

Last edited by lemon604; 09-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

well may I ask what kind
Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 AM

rhody605 is on a distinguished road

Finally got all the glass clean. So it's somewhat presentable now. Lol