Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-12-2018, 03:22 AM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Frogger,
This is a heavily debated topic with valid points on both sides and I’ve read more pages about it than I can count. My philosophy is to run as balanced and natural an environment as I can with a glass box, and I don’t consider it to be Russian roulette. I mitigate the odds as much as I can with sourcing the livestock, feeding a good diet, etc and so far have never lost a fish to disease. So many things are a calculated risk. For example I’ve seen many times experienced hobbyists introducing a large number of fish, many with aggressive temperaments, all at once, even into a freshly cycled tank. I feel this is not a good recipe for success, yet no one bats an eye.
I did get stuff for a quarantine tank when I was intending to add a blue tang (calculated risks and all) but ended up changing my mind when I couldn’t get past its large mature size. I still have copper tests if anyone needs it..

DKoKoMan,
Thanks, from your lips to God’s ear He really is a character, like a grumpy old dude with measles. I hope he doesn’t get aggressive as some do. It’s funny how my tastes are evolving. I have a pink birds nest (my first SPS) that I was proud of which has grown to quite a size, very densely branched as well. Lately I’m resenting the calcium this monster is sucking up and thinking how nice it would be to replace it with something nicer, haha
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Default Spring is in the air!!!

Spring really must be in the air because a couple of cool things happened with the fishies. Very exciting and satisfying for me as these were two big wants since starting the hobby 3 years ago.

First, my clownfish FINALLY decided to graciously accept their host, after a year of ignoring various "tricks" plus I even sold the old colony and got a new anemone back in December.

https://youtu.be/U6ThVr82Kak

Then, my mandarins Po and Tigress chose Daylight Savings to perform their spawning dance for the first time - under moonlights of course.

https://youtu.be/0VfQ2YWIG84

In Jan, my tank marked its 1st anniversary since upgrading from the 75gal. It has been a fun year and I've been lucky in that setbacks have been few and minor. I learned a lot and look forward to more lessons down the road.

1st anniversary of tank upgrade:

New friends:

Last edited by Dash; 04-22-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Yes!!! Love the little puffer hahaha. The tank is looking great! You have had some really growth which is nice to see.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 AM

Thanks DKoKoMan. Yeah the puffers are very curious, always checking things out. The red spot blenny is also watching it all from his shell. He’s like the grumpy old guy glaring at his neighbours. “What are those dang whippersnappers up to at this time of night?”

Have you added a pair to your tank yet?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Thanks DKoKoMan. Yeah the puffers are very curious, always checking things out. The red spot blenny is also watching it all from his shell. He’s like the grumpy old guy glaring at his neighbours. “What are those dang whippersnappers up to at this time of night?”

Have you added a pair to your tank yet?
Ugh no! I did add a Red Sea Sailfin Tang that was re-homed. I think the next will be a pair of mandarins. You have had yours for some time? Do you deed with copepods often? My fear is I lose the pair from them starving.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 AM

I’ve added copepods twice in the three years of the two tanks. Once just before I added Po (75 gal was 8 months old) and the second time was last year when I did the tank transfer. Your tank is way bigger so it should be good?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:26 PM

Ok. I will give it a whirl. I just need to find a pair now lol.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Hope everyone's enjoying the summer weather. I've been having fun observing the shenanigans going on in my tank...

Added this beauty, an Orange Tree gorgonian. Non-photosynthetic so I've been trying hard to keep him fed. His colour is not as bright now sadly.

Patrick the fromia can always be found in a comical pose

Inkspot tunicate. He refused to be held by mere superglue, shrinking and inflating very defiantly, so I had to MacGyver him down. He's accepted it now, grew a "foot" into the rock in a couple of days

Can't get enough of Walt. What a face

Before the anemone inflated in the morning, I tried to capture the fatness that is the female clown. Still doesn't show her girth. She is laying quite regularly, and I feel a bit bad when they fuss over the eggs.

Petey likes to stick himself to random spots to sleep.

Blondie decided a tiny door was adequate for Snape but swept the front yard clean

I was quite surprised to see how big the Red Diablo was when I was doing a WC. I only see it from the front so it was twice as big as I thought it was

Turned on the lights to capture the polyp madness of the Rainbow Loom

Last edited by Dash; 08-04-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Tanks looking great!
Old 08-06-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Tanks looking great!
Thanks! I’m having a lot of fun with it