Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
+1 in the Waveline DC pumps, there are super quite and well built. I have 3 -10000 & 1 - 5000 so far & going to pick up at least another 5000 maybe 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you able to get that thread issue figured out? I remember reading somewhere you were having a bit of trouble matching threads and someone else had a bit of leaking. Just wondering if they're non-standard threads...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Were you able to get that thread issue figured out? I remember reading somewhere you were having a bit of trouble matching threads and someone else had a bit of leaking. Just wondering if they're non-standard threads...
Yes I did manage to get a std fitting threaded on the the pump after about an hr of tread chasing with a file. I think it is a standard thread but it has no actual start thread on it, if you know what I mean. Got the fitting on with some teflon tape and no leaks

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 PM

tim_s is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I see people throwing decent suggestions such-as the blaster range which is amazing! IF you have the money and like the brand go for it.

In the past I have always us Ehiem but I have recently started to switch over to Danner Mag Drives (Supreme).

I have never had a bad experience with either - I just prefer the price and the feature set is same.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:24 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Yes I did manage to get a std fitting threaded on the the pump after about an hr of tread chasing with a file. I think it is a standard thread but it has no actual start thread on it, if you know what I mean. Got the fitting on with some teflon tape and no leaks
I just used a heat gun to heat a threaded PVC fitting up a little then screwed it on like butter.

I'd also recommend the DC waveline 5000 but can't recommend them external as both my wavelines leak slightly from the housing.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-15-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 PM

tim_s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I just used a heat gun to heat a threaded PVC fitting up a little then screwed it on like butter.

I'd also recommend the DC waveline 5000 but can't recommend them external as both my wavelines leak slightly from the housing.
Might not be great for submerged either!

Having to replace a plumbed in pump for a new brand may require plumbing adjustments which if anything could be a very annoying experience - especially when you have time against you I.e. live stock that has a dependance on the system running.

I would maybe investigate whether a replacement is an option.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I should have mentioned that I'm a fan of the wavelines as well!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
Might not be great for submerged either!

Having to replace a plumbed in pump for a new brand may require plumbing adjustments which if anything could be a very annoying experience - especially when you have time against you I.e. live stock that has a dependance on the system running.

I would maybe investigate whether a replacement is an option.
The part that's leaking is where the impeller housing mates with the motor housing, probably just a oring or something that's not provided a great seal. It's pretty minor, just a slight build up of salt creep over a day or so but enough to prevent me from running them external. I didn't investigate, just installed them internal which worked out better for me anyway. The pumps work fine and don't require replacement. This is a typical issue with many pumps.