Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Ok then I would just keep watching and wait as if his mouth have cleared on its own that mean the fish immune system is doing its job.

Unless there are parasites and there is no real evidence of it for now, I would just observe.

I wish mine would eat aiptasia! millions in my tank.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM

jassz is on a distinguished road

Update:

The saddle butterfly is doing well. After about 8 weeks, he finally started eating the food I give them, and now actually eagerly competes with the trigger for the pieces. The spot that was on his front fin went away on its own, so I guess maybe it was lymphocystis? Whatever, he seems to be doing very well. I should have taken before/after pictures of the aptasia, because he's really gotten that under control.

However....

I noticed my Valentini puffer flashing against the rocks a few times. I couldn't see anything apparently wrong, but then I noticed that right in front of his front fin on one side, it looks like a bubble inflating and deflating as he breathes (I guess it's his gill). It is very tiny and hard to see, but the other side has no bubble. It just looks like an open... well, gill. So now I'm wondering if it is a gill fluke? Maybe I should have treated the tank, but the butterfly got better. The puffer is pretty old though I think, maybe he's just more susceptible. There is no way I can start treatment now, as I'm going away for a week and the neighbour kid is coming in to take care of the critters. She's pretty reliable, but no way I'm leaving her to medicate. I don't even know for sure what/if I should medicate. Any thoughts???
Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 PM

I don,t think you would see gill flukes with your bare eyes. It's very tiny and difficult to see.

As for medication, prazipro is quite reef safe. I used it and all my invert and coral were fine, except maybe the xenia that shrinked a bit but they survived.

Also flukes don't inflate and deflate. If that think is big enough for you to see it inflate and deflate, I doubt it's a fluke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassz View Post
Update:
I noticed my Valentini puffer flashing against the rocks a few times. I couldn't see anything apparently wrong, but then I noticed that right in front of his front fin on one side, it looks like a bubble inflating and deflating as he breathes (I guess it's his gill). It is very tiny and hard to see, but the other side has no bubble. It just looks like an open... well, gill. So now I'm wondering if it is a gill fluke?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 AM

jassz is on a distinguished road

Well, what I read about flukes is that the fish will create mucous to try to get rid of the thing, and that's what ends up suffocating the fish (when the fluke is in the gills). This doesn't really look like mucous, it looks like skin, but I wouldn't really know what it's supposed to look like.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 AM

I had many fish with flukes before, freshwater and saltwater but never saw any mucous on the fish because of that. I don't think you would see this on the gill unless there are a huge amount of them, but thats unlikely.

My copperband butterfly had flukes and 2 treatments of prazipro took care of it. You might want to try a cleaner shrimp as well as they are good at removing the flukes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassz View Post
Well, what I read about flukes is that the fish will create mucous to try to get rid of the thing, and that's what ends up suffocating the fish (when the fluke is in the gills). This doesn't really look like mucous, it looks like skin, but I wouldn't really know what it's supposed to look like.