Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-16-2014, 02:39 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Why not get a tank with an external overflow if you dislike internal?

To me a sumpless tank is a downgrade not an upgrade.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd guess you need thicker than 1/2" if you want no bracing at all!

Overflow boxes can be very small, or don't use one at all. Just have a single pipe plumbed through the upper back. Less unsightly than equipment hanging off the back.
Use filter socks to keep the sump clean.

My system is virtually silent, no sound of water at all. This is using a durso style pipe.
Gas exchange can be handled fine without a sump, but it does help.
Plumbing is hidden and honestly, if it's set up properly, it's never going to leak.

Lots of people run without it, but personally, I would never even consider it. My tank is clean, quiet and has no gear visible. I couldn't handle heaters and skimmers all hanging in the tank.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Perhaps something has recently been introduced to the market but I have never seem a hang on skimmer that was anywhere near as good as the majority of in-sump and external skimmers available. That is my main issue with sump-less. I'll admit I haven't gotten a good look at many Tunzes but their low popularity concerns me. The other is that without something like an overflow drain providing surface skimming an oily protein/bacterial film tends to form on the surface of the water. Oh and I hate power-heads. Absolutely hate looking at them in a display tank. At the moment a large return pump allows me avoid them, later it will be that return pump and a closed loop system.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
I find the overflow box and sump seem to get filled with dietrus over time and just seems like another thing that needs to be cleaned. The plumbing underneath I have never been a fan of and just don't like the idea of holes in the glass and feel that the seals/plumbing are going to fail at some point or another. Maybe I'm just paranoid, lol.

I dislike the overflow boxes as I find them a large eyesore and I hate having to adjust flow/rocks around them. My Tunze Skimmer is tiny compared to one of the boxes and if I got a Tunze Comline filter as well, the combination of the 2 will still be considerably smaller. The benefit of hiding everything in the sump seems odd to me if you are having to create a big box, or overflow of some kind that intrudes into the tank as well. I guess each person has there own taste though, mine seeming in the minority.

Also, I never seem to get a quiet system with the sump set up. There just always seems to be the sound of water falling/gurgling somewhere. The system is in an office and it would be nice if the system was as close to silent as possible.

People talk about the benefits of gas exchange from a sump. Could this not be obtained by having powerheads aimed at the surface of the water, or is it considerably better with a sump and your tank mates will die without it in a large system?

I will agree with mike that the photo period you can create in your sump to keep the PH stable is not something obtainable without it. The increased volume also helps, but I am upgrading to get that volume. If I wanted another 60 gallons of volume to make the system more stable, why not get a 300 gallon display tank instead of a 240 gallon with a sump?

On the whole, it just seems like something that makes the system more complicated, more work, more prone for something to fail and more expensive. I like to try to use the KISS rule in life, and the sump seems to be the opposite of that, with little benefits I can't obtain by doing other things that are simpler. That is unless there is something that I am still not realizing/considering. I prefer a less stocked system to allow the occupants more space, so that is not an issue for me as well.

My 50g is sumpless. Running on a Tunze Reefpack 505. Simple, quiet, low power and foolproof. Suits me just fine. My remote sump was high end quality and worked perfect also, just not my cup of tea. I know its not the big thing on this side of the ocean but it is in Europe, where many residence are smaller and sumps are not popular.

Last edited by Doug; 08-16-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
just not my cup of tea.
And that's the thing. It all about what you want. The only prerequisites are a glass box and moving water at the right temp. Everything else is extra designed to make various things easier and/or more convenient.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
My 50g is sumpless. Running on a Tunze Reefpack 505. Simple, quiet, low power and foolproof. Suits me just fine. My remote sump was high end quality and worked perfect also, just not my cup of tea. I know its not the big thing on this side of the ocean but it is in Europe, where many residence are smaller and sumps are not popular.
Those Reefpacks look pretty interesting. I have run both types of tanks and have never really had problems either way. I have used a couple of different styles of HOB skimmers with my Aquamaxx being the favorite as there is only 2 small pipes in the water. The only problem I've had is that once my skimmer went nuts and started overflowing and if I wasn't right beside the tank it would have dumped a lot of water on the floor. The in tank Tunzes look like a safer way to go but if you think overflow boxes in the tank are ugly you probably don't want one of the internal skimmers. I usually throw on an Aquaclear power filter to run carbon or what not and use the sponge for a little extra mechanical filtration, it takes about a minute to clean.