Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Told you he ate anything he could fit into his mouth
CRAP! I remember you telling me that, now that you mention it! Gawd, you gotta love him but what a little bugger!

Quote:
I forgot to mention give him forzen peas, it always worked when he ate snails and stuff he should not eat... good old Griffie, I see he has settled right in. He loves frozen peas too.
Thats an excellent idea! I will try that.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-09-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump.
Which in all honesty, is where stuff like that belongs.

Sorry to hear about this, hope he pulls through, but I would be worried about any glass shards be may have going through his digestive system.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

You will also know if he has an upset belly if he starts inflating himself to realign his stomach folds. Does he have a cave in there for him to go under. He used to go into a cave in my tank so the powerheads didn't send him spinning off. He will be fine, just give him lots of peas for fibre... he ate so many snails and is still alive. He will inflate to throw up whatever is bothering him, and it does look pretty gross. When he threw up snail shells, he would often try to swallow them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
CRAP! I remember you telling me that, now that you mention it! Gawd, you gotta love him but what a little bugger!

Thats an excellent idea! I will try that.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 PM

He will be fine... he never ate glass at my place, but with the amounts of snails he would crush and eat, I would think he can take this. He will just inflate himself a lot to get rid of it... if he is not inflating, it is not posing a problem to him I am thinking.

Leeanne, has he been inflating himself at all? He does love frozen peas and whenever he was off his food due to indigestion he would readily eat them. He poops them out very quickly too... kind of reminds me of a cow.

Don't worry about him, he's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post

Sorry to hear about this, hope he pulls through, but I would be worried about any glass shards be may have going through his digestive system.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
He will be fine... he never ate glass at my place, but with the amounts of snails he would crush and eat, I would think he can take this. He will just inflate himself a lot to get rid of it... if he is not inflating, it is not posing a problem to him I am thinking.

Leeanne, has he been inflating himself at all? He does love frozen peas and whenever he was off his food due to indigestion he would readily eat them. He poops them out very quickly too... kind of reminds me of a cow.Don't worry about him, he's fine.

Thats a good point...he has not inflated since the incident. He will inflate after he has chocked on snails or mussel though. I never thought about that. I'm keeping my eye on him though. I would be crushed if anything happened to him. I tried peas with him once. He hasn't had them in a while. I will try that. Good idea! *superhugs*

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-09-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Yikes! I had no idea that fish would break let alone eat a thermometer! I hope everything works out for you.
Thanks Laurie! *superhugs*

I will keep everyone posted with the outcome. I've used these floating thermometers for YEARS with no problems. If anything this experiance may help others.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM

yeah, but you never had Griffie... I would have never thought he would try to eat that either though... he's a floating pair of eye balls and stomach. I know he will be fine and I am still so glad you adopted him Just don't get wrasses or gobies... mid you it would give him a hobby. He loves to hunt, but he can't catch Damsel fish of course, but maybe it might give him something more productive to do with himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
Thanks Laurie! *superhugs*

I will keep everyone posted with the outcome. I've used these floating thermometers for YEARS with no problems. If anything this experiance may help others.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I just skimmed through this thread.. are we talking about a fish here, or a monster??? What I read was, there's something swimming in your tank that likes to puff up and throw up glass shards to maim snails so that he can ingest them whole ?!?!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 PM

He's a monster to anyone that can fit into his big mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I just skimmed through this thread.. are we talking about a fish here, or a monster??? What I read was, there's something swimming in your tank that likes to puff up and throw up glass shards to maim snails so that he can ingest them whole ?!?!