Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 AM

the marine apprentice is on a distinguished road
Default anyone have any opinions on this light

http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-HO-LIGHT-REEF...item255739377a
just wondering if anyone has any reviews on this light and if it is worth the money to have it shipped out here.
tks
terry
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer
Mag 12 return pump also feeding two reactors
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. let me know if you order as i may be in for 1 as well. worth the drive to me.

However i wonder about the plug.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 11-18-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

I've never had these lights but, it does not look like they have individual reflectors for each lamp.

You will get more light with individual reflectors on each bulb.

just my opinion

Cheers,
Vic
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 AM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

not sure how it compares with the odyssea stuff but some of the T5HO lighting I saw at the knock-off central in toronto seems to produce very weak light comparing to the other brands, it's used for their fish system and still look pretty weak to me - almost like comparing to normal output flourscent.

I would not take the risk to buy it and get it shipped from China There are US based sellers that will sell knock-off lighting for maybe $30 more with some RC reviews. Most review I've seen indicate the buyers only use the 'fixture housing' and replaces the workhorse ballast with icecap 660 and better lighting tubes.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 AM

the marine apprentice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. let me know if you order as i may be in for 1 as well. worth the drive to me.

However i wonder about the plug.
what do you mean you wonder about the plug?would it be different from our plugs here in canada? cuz if it is then a simple snip of the wires can fix that.
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer
Mag 12 return pump also feeding two reactors
Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Based on the way the pic shows the reflection in the interior as one continuous image I think it's safe to say it's one big reflector. Based on what I've read that is a real deal-breaker.

No fans either. MAkes me wonder of the power supply is even UL rated or whatever t is that makes things "safe".
Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Looks like it's just a single polished reflector, definitely not single parabolic or bent. You'd might as well by buying PC.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Don't waste your money.

Individual shaped reflectors and fans are the make it or break it part of ANY T-5 light. Save up and buy or build a quality fixture
Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
I've seen indicate the buyers only use the 'fixture housing' and replaces the workhorse ballast with icecap 660 and better lighting tubes.
why would they replace the WH ballast when it is a superior ballast to the Icecap?

for 189.00 it is a slamming deal concidering to get individual reflectors you are looking at adding 400 bucks for the rip off prices around here.
even if you had to pull the reflector and add individual ones later if you didn't like it that would cost about 140 for 6 individual reflectors. while your modding it add a fan or two for under 50 bucks if it doesn't already have them.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 11-18-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
almost like comparing to normal output flourscent.
not realy at all, more like comparing it to T5 systems that are on the market today. The hagen glow for 230.00 is a two bulb single reflector which still puts out 50% more PAR than a comparable PC system.

so depending what the needs are this system would be exelent or good, but not bad. I don't know about shipping but I have never had a problem with drop shipping.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.