Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyd72 View Post
Congrats on the Powermodule, these are amazing fixtures.
I have the 10 x 80w. I got mine last March from Reefgeek, this was the first 10x80 PM in Canada, I was on the waiting list for three months. Yes, bulbs are expensive, I just received 13 new tubes from reefgeek for $400. I can't find any 80W bulbs in Canada
I have mine set up on a sliding rail, so that it slides back into my fish room, I found this works best as I usually have to fix corals or move something every few days.

You should also raise it for the first month or so to assimilate your corals to the new type of light, as T5's evenly distribute light unlike metal halides, your corals may start to bleach from the new light.

Another idea is to run your fan speed higher instead of 4 switch it to 7 or 7.5(can't remember the exact number off hand). This will help your bulbs run a little cooler. I also have a small fan blowing across the unit's fans.

Good advice, I love my lights! I wish I had room for a slider, much easier than the cable suspension wires. I just raise the unit up to clean it.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ok 600 watts of light = 600 watts of heat weather it is MH or CF, or T5, ect.. light is energy and when it stops being light it turnes into heat so you in reality only lowered your heat to the room by 9.5% the difference is the MH is more intense and burns at a hoter temp so it will heat local things more, but the exact same wattage of heat is put out nomater what kind of bulb if the power usage is the same.

now what counts is you like them and are happy with them, I just dont want people to be misinformed by advertising hype that says 600watts of T5's is going to put out less heat to the room or use less energy than 600 watts of MH, or CF, ect.

Steve
Actually, the big issue is efficiency - MH ballasts and bulbs aren't as effieicent as flourescent ballasts and tubes, so for the same amount of energy they consume, more of it is turned into visible/useable light by the T5 ballast/bulbs. The MH ballast/bulb might consume the same 600 watts, but less of it becomes visible light and more of it is radiated directly as heat.

That powermodule sure is sexy though. Wish I had the funds for one, but I think I'll be going with it's more angular, slightly less attractive cousin, the Sunpower
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
I wish I had room for a slider, much easier than the cable suspension wires. I just raise the unit up to clean it.
You need to head back to my build thread lol. Winch that badboy up =)