Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 06-18-2009, 05:30 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

LOL, Ya got me on that one..

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
It's not lighting the entire tank.
im sorry not the entire tank just about 80 percent of it, just not the very ends whoopy do. its only one you would need 3 MH for a tank that size.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomboy View Post
im sorry not the entire tank just about 80 percent of it, just not the very ends whoopy do. its only one you would need 3 MH for a tank that size.
don't forget there is no water in that tank so you get a lot of reflected light you normaly wouldn't. I would say two of thes lights would be perfect for that tank. unless you move it up higher, but then you get more light spill in the room, which I personaly hate but some don't mind.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

http://www.oceanathome.com/more-deta...reef-lighting/

More Detail on LUMIX LIFI Reef Lighting

One of the first things we really get whacked across the noggin with in the hobby is the initial sticker shock of an adequate lighting system. But once you see a good reef lighting system in person, you soon realize the money is usually pretty well spent and you begin to understand the excitement your fellow hobbyists feel when new advances are made in aquarium lighting. Just about a year ago, I posted a video from CNET on a new plasma light coming on the market from LUXIM and do believe I was one of the first to actually champion its development in the hobby. Well in just the last week, I’ve discovered that the plasma light is MUCH closer to reality than I originally thought!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

I'm loving this idea of the plasma lighting but why is nobody posting up any PAR values????? I would think it would be the FIRST thing for any company or person to check into before they start investing into this technology.

Its almost like saying "We're looking at a new salt for the reef keeping industry that looks really promising but we're not sure what its made of or if the Ca/Mg/Alk levels are correct"
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

The write up in the link by RuGlu6 EXPLAINS that the lighting has not been tested on a tank full of water yet but once it is they will be PAR testing. This is very new technology for the aquarium business so it's gonna take time
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

I am exited as well, less heat, more light, dimmable and long lived bulb.
What else can we ask for ?
Oh yes reliability and affordability right?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Here's a couple more links. one shows lumen output and HOLY CRAP! 6000 kelvin @ 20000 lumens! I'm no electrician but I believe that is alos @ 9.5amps which would be probably be pretty pricey to run. That being said the fixture being shown is for commercial use. http://www.lifi.com/pdfs/ProductBull...A-40Series.pdf

http://www.luxim.com/
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Skimmin; 06-22-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Here's a couple more links. one shows lumen output and HOLY CRAP! 6000 kelvin @ 20000 lumens! I'm no electrician but I believe that is alos @ 9.5amps which would be probably be pretty pricey to run. That being said the fixture being shown is for commercial use. http://www.lifi.com/pdfs/ProductBull...A-40Series.pdf

http://www.luxim.com/
that 9.5 Amps is at 28V DC. the wattage, is only 266 Watts. And it's Watt's that the elec company charges us for, not amps. At 120v thats only 2.2 amps draw, or the equivelant as 1 250W electronic MH

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 AM

I understand its watts we get charged for but low amperage is better right? eg... 2 x 250watt halides @ 1.5amps ea is better(less power consumption) than 2 x 250watt halides @ 3 amps each. Although I didn't realize that would only be 2.2amps @ 120v. Thats SWEET!