Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-18-2009, 05:03 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Not worth it in my mind:
  1. No individual reflectors and not enough space to add them later, you need 2.5" between bulbs to fit good quality individual reflectors.
  2. Bulbs are likely worthless and will need replacing
  3. Same deal with the ballast, most of these imports use cheap ballasts which eventually fail or periodically shut down from too much heat.
  4. Only thing left that looks half decent is the fixture body unless it's plastic. Also poor ventilation combined with the bulbs being too close will result in lower efficiency and bulb life.

You can put together a retrofit for around the same price with better parts.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
why would they replace the WH ballast when it is a superior ballast to the Icecap?

for 189.00 it is a slamming deal concidering to get individual reflectors you are looking at adding 400 bucks for the rip off prices around here.
even if you had to pull the reflector and add individual ones later if you didn't like it that would cost about 140 for 6 individual reflectors. while your modding it add a fan or two for under 50 bucks if it doesn't already have them.

Steve
Ok,but if you figure $109.99 for the fixture +$89 now you're $198 US, converted to Canadian is $311, now add $30 per bulb for reflectors so that's another $180 and you've spent $378 on a cheap retrofitted chinese fixture.

For $10 less he can buy a 6 bulb 48" teklight from J&L with individual reflectors and if something goes wrong with it, there's someone on the other end of the phone who's interested in making it right.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Looks like a light from "fishneedit.com". Check out their website.
I had a light from them - a 4 bulb T5HO and it is okay but certainly not anything compared to a TEK. The stock bulbs are aweful and need to be replaced. The unit is a nice looking unit but it is not of the same calibur as TEK. Nice little starter light if you cannot afford more right now but you will likely want to upgrade.

You get what you pay for.

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM

the marine apprentice is on a distinguished road

well yeah i saw that it is one solid reflector i was just curious if it was actually worth it. but if you are correct and i can get a tek 6 for the same price then i might as well go for that then
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer
Mag 12 return pump also feeding two reactors
Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
Ok,but if you figure $109.99 for the fixture +$89 now you're $198 US, converted to Canadian is $311, now add $30 per bulb for reflectors so that's another $180 and you've spent $378 on a cheap retrofitted chinese fixture.

For $10 less he can buy a 6 bulb 48" teklight from J&L with individual reflectors and if something goes wrong with it, there's someone on the other end of the phone who's interested in making it right.
I thought it came with bulbs?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 PM

it does come with bulbs but appearantly they suck. so idunno
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember, peoples opinions vary based on their income and personal opinions and experiences.

It's always a wash when asking if something is worth the money, because some people value money more and some less...lol

I used a crappy 4X 65 watt chinese ebay pc fixture for almost 6 months and had no complaints...
why?
because I knew it was a cheap pos to begin with and all i cared was that it worked at even a basic level for what I needed it for (which was a mostly lps but a couple sps close to the top tank) and when the ballast did go on me, I knew I had gotten what I paid for and just put in a new one and kept using it until I could afford (or found a deal) on the halides that I really wanted but didn't necessarily need right away.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Very good point. Some also aren't made of money but are also willing to save longer and buy once. Many ways to this hobby.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 PM

that is a very good point and thank you. its not the money issue with buying the light i just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on it. and i totaly agree that everyone has different taste and ideas when it comes to lighting. i really want to get an 8 bulb tek light or even a 6 bulb. i have a 48in sundial on my 90 right now just want more light.
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer