Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 AM

KennyKen is on a distinguished road

oooooooooooooo, thats nice,
what is that.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:14 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Clove polyp
Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Love that Multi color clove, I waaaaant!!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Man, you got to lay off the photo shop a bit.. this looks horable. try a pic and just leave it alone, you over saturated this one to the point your sand is multi colored.

other than that, nice layout and corals.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I was having a few issues with exposure tonight but this will do

*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Like I said I was having issues with exposure, give a guy a break. That's what the sand looks like BTW, green and red algae is growing on it.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Like I said I was having issues with exposure, give a guy a break. That's what the sand looks like BTW, green and red algae is growing on it.
ahh, that partially explains it.

it wasn't the red and green algae I was talking about it was the yellow, purple, blue hehe
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ahh, that partially explains it.

it wasn't the red and green algae I was talking about it was the yellow, purple, blue hehe
Blue from the light, yellow and purple are shades of red and green algae. It's a result from over exposure, I never touched saturation and if I did it wouldn't have done the effect you describe. Sorry if doesn't meet your standards, after all it was you all along I was trying to impress.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Blue from the light, yellow and purple are shades of red and green algae. It's a result from over exposure, I never touched saturation and if I did it wouldn't have done the effect you describe. Sorry if doesn't meet your standards, after all it was you all along I was trying to impress.
hey, I like the tank, you must have missed that part.

you'll find though I have an aversion to the way photo shop has been used over the years, and yes I use it also, well used to till I got Vista and am to cheep to go buy one that will work with Vista

the problem is that a lot of on line vendors were photo-shopping the heck out of the corals, and doing a nice job at it, so when you got your coral it was nothing like the WYSIWYG pictures and never would come close to it.

Also there were a lot of people posting photo shopped pics of there tanks. the problem with this one was it was at a time when no one new much about lighting (kinda like today ) this was my pet peeve was that there was no info out there on lighting, hence it is why I spent 10K in 3 years on lights, PAR meter ect. anyways I digress

back to photo shop. in a time when everyone was trying to learn what lights were good people were posting photo shopped pics of tanks lit by PC's VHO's, 170w MH, ect.. so looking visually at a picture there was no reliable indication of how they were relay affecting the color of the corals.

Icecap was a player making claims about there VHO ballast which I went head to head with them and got them to admit it wasn't what they said, T5's were one of the biggest though when they were first introduced it was amazing the photo-shopped pics... or pics showing T5s on a tank that was amazing. But, I knew the tank and the guy who owned it, they took the MH off put the T5s on took a pic and then went back to the MH.

so the problem isn't with a pic that has been photo-shopped it is how it is used.

yours wasn't intended to be used like these, it was just at a contrast and sharpness than made it hard to look at on my monitor and I was just letting you know it looked messed up.

no hard feeling intended, just didn't know if you knew how it looked on a LCD monitor.

Steve

Old 12-16-2008, 03:14 PM

I meant no offense either, I thought we were just kidding around.

I know what you're getting at with the PhotoShop and vendors but it's part of the game and it's all about buyer beware. Corals will look different in every tank, no matter what.

Just so you know, that pic never touched photoshop, it was edited in Capture NX2 and it was not edited in they way you may think. The pic was shot in RAW mode and the over exposure is to blame, not over editing. I didn't feel like setting up again for another shot last night, it was a long day so I posted it to meet the 15th deadline. I plan on replacing it when I get a chance, as I'm not happy with it either. But lay off the "horrible", that's not helpful.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
But lay off the "horrible", that's not helpful.
ok, wrong word

Steve