Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Every successful tank I have seen in person has been based on halide or T5 lighting, with LED's as supliments. That being said, all those tanks were SPS dominent.
Warren, there is a interesting article published recently and I believe a link was published to this board a couple of weeks ago or so. It deals with the Radion Gen 4's and the quality of light output. Near metal halide output and the growth of lps, sps etc.

With the addition of the 2 extra light channels over the Gen 3's and the type of lens over the LED, it has made a substantial difference in illumination.

I can pm you the link to the article...but you've probably all ready see it
Old 02-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Storman View Post
Warren, there is a interesting article published recently and I believe a link was published to this board a couple of weeks ago or so. It deals with the Radion Gen 4's and the quality of light output. Near metal halide output and the growth of lps, sps etc.

With the addition of the 2 extra light channels over the Gen 3's and the type of lens over the LED, it has made a substantial difference in illumination.

I can pm you the link to the article...but you've probably all ready see it
Yes thanks, I've seen it.

This continues the ongoing debate of lighting. I do wish I could afford multiple fixtures run over multiple tanks. The Gen 4's look amazing and LED's do get better every day. I ran 2 Kessil 360W and I wasn't impressed, switching to T5 36w x8 a year later. Perhaps I used them wrong, I dunno, but I saw immediate results by switching. Some folks grow SPS no problem with cheap Chinese fixtures.

Basically, for someone starting their first tank, I generally don't recommend LED'S by themselves, as that person will have better beginner results with older tech.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with you when it comes to first timers. The KISS (Keep It Simple) approach is the best. Too many other things to worry about. Lighting is very important if you wish growth in your tank.

I have a reefer friend who has the Chinese specials similar to the Mars...he has not had any luck with LPS, seem to last 4-5 month's and eventually just seem to whether away.

I looked long and hard, did allot of late nights on many major forums before investing in lighting. The initial outlay in money was substantial (even utilizing the group buy) but I standardized all my lights, putting 4 on my main tank, 1 for my frag tank and 2 for my Qt tank. They were all Radion XR30w Gen 4's controlled by a single Reeflink controller. The power saving is substantial compared to T5 or Halide. So far a very noticeable difference in my LPS, softies and even my one an only SPS. They are beginning to explode with growth. I've taken several photo's of the now look and it will be interesting to compare them to pic's 6 month's from now.

Quote:
Yes thanks, I've seen it.

This continues the ongoing debate of lighting. I do wish I could afford multiple fixtures run over multiple tanks. The Gen 4's look amazing and LED's do get better every day. I ran 2 Kessil 360W and I wasn't impressed, switching to T5 36w x8 a year later. Perhaps I used them wrong, I dunno, but I saw immediate results by switching. Some folks grow SPS no problem with cheap Chinese fixtures.

Basically, for someone starting their first tank, I generally don't recommend LED'S by themselves, as that person will have better beginner results with older tech.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

I think all depends what corals and creature you going to put in the tank.
This could go long way. Sounds like you prefer the led, even because when you mention Ati fixture you said going to use E5.
I have mostly sps so will tell you definitely t5, but also before used led ,from the Cheap Aqua mars to kessil a360. The growth I get with t5 can't be compare to the led light.... now if you plan to fill up the tank with softies, zoas, anemones lps you can definitely go with led , makes the color pop more.... but honestly don't waist your money on the led t5(E5)... are too expensive and you better go for a decent led fixture , just think about a 36" E5 bulbs is around 100$ each, I like mine just to make the corals pop but will not rely on them for growth, just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Darth Moderator

If you are talking about those new LED strips that fit in a T5 slot, I have it on good authority that they are garbage compared to TruLumens or ReefBrights.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:09 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
I think all depends what corals and creature you going to put in the tank.
This could go long way. Sounds like you prefer the led, even because when you mention Ati fixture you said going to use E5.
I wouldn't say I prefer led over other types. I have used all of them over the years. I would probably end up using 2xblue plus, fiji pink/purple and an actinic in the fixture. I just threw the possibility of the e5 in the mix as a potential option. Because the tank is relatively shallow I was concerned I might end up only running the ATI fixture full power for for like 2 hours a day.

As far as whats going in the tank, most likely mixed. all of the listed options give me flexibility, aside from maybe the a80's
Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 AM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

You can always look for a dimmable Ati fixture, I know you mention non dimmable in the first post, but at least save you headache about thinking is too powerful, like also Warren say those E5 are pretty much useless ... believe me , have 3 and I'm stuck with them,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 01:13 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Just trying to save some money with the standard model. The dimmable version isn't much more so I'm sure it is a worthy upgrade. Thanks for all of the input.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 AM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
Just trying to save some money with the standard model. The dimmable version isn't much more so I'm sure it is a worthy upgrade. Thanks for all of the input.
Dimming T5 bulbs will reduce their lifespan, lol.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
I'm leaning towards the t5 fixture. As I was worried about the shading from leds. It would only be the 4 bulb model as I dont want to light up the back portion of the aio. This would allow all coral choices which is nice

Now 24" or 36"?
I think this is a great option. Go with 36" to match the length of the tank. If you want LPS and softies like Zoas and such then 2 bulbs will give you plenty of light. 4 bulbs may actually be too much light for many corals with such a shallow tank.

Quote:
Dimming T5 bulbs will reduce their lifespan, lol.
Do you have any references? I've seen people say this, but I've yet to read any reliable data on it. I've yet to see anyone come up with any references either.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-01-2017 at 02:18 AM.