Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Lets see those QT tanks

Well I woke up to two dead chromis due to another (possibly 3rd till now!) ich breakdown. Don't really know what happened since everyone was fine and eating like pigs and I fed them what many would say "extremely" generously. Even I used occasional selcon. Really ****ed me off this time.

Anyway, this boxing day, I am getting QT tank setup (and the ATI dimmable fixture ). Would love to get some idea about how reefers run QT. Permanent qt or temporary qt? I will probably run permanent since I will keep on adding fishes every two months till the tank is stocked.

Worked really hard to get the tank to the point of being "sterile of ich" and I was kinda of happy when I saw no ich outbreak when my 1st clownfish was got to the point of no eating and died. Added a 2nd clownfish which was healthy and was in the LFS for a really long time and it was perfectly all right but I started noticing white spots on chromis and the trigger (initially through they were just dusts because of the places they sleep) and now the outbreak.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM

BuschWacker is on a distinguished road

i started a post similar to this last week. didnt really go very far, only got two replies. hopefully you can do better. i would like to do the exact same thing. look for a good deal on boxing day for something smaller, that i can keep running in a back room until its needed. would also like to know the basics that need to be in it. tagging along.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quarantine for new fish: After a few newbie hard lessons in the beginning, I set up a QT for new fish. Initially, this tank was connected as a refugium to my sump, and then disconnected when in use as a QT. I use the hyposalinity routine, and have had great success with acclimating new fish including some more finicky Butterfly fish such as Copperbands and Pearlscales. The entire QT process usually takes 2 or 3 months for me. Here is a good article on the benefits of hypo.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

I have always had a permanent QT with a canister filter, and I now keep some live rock in there as well. It is still multi purpose, and I QT some corals in there too. And I use it as an overflow frag tank, when I run out of room in my DT frag rack. I use water from my DT water changes, so no salt costs.

Pretty simple set-up actually. But the key is permanent. Most failures happen because of new set-ups (no stable nitrogen cycle), and the misuse of copper or other chemicals. I have had 100% success rate, when I used hypo. You can also use Prazipro at the beginning before you lower the salinity if you suspect internal parasites. Then after a few days, start the RODI water changes to lower the salinity to 1.009. And to raise, just use the DT tank water from water changes.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:13 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Yea I learned this way too
Lost almost all of my stock and I finally decided to get a QT... SOMEHOW?!?!! Still got ich in my tank right now... My fish seem to be healthy enough how ever to fight it off and I honestly have NO idea how it got back in my tank I took every precaution and still.... ugh

Anyways, I ran my tank without fish for 12 weeks.
I had fish in quarantine after the 12 week period, and treated them in a 20 gallon quarantine tank bare bottom nothing in it but PVC tubing, and a filter with only filter floss.
I treat all of my new fish with copper, specifically seachem Cupramine for 18 days in quarantine.
I mean I THOUGHT I was doing it right? I haven't lost any fish but every once in a while I do see my clown and tang with the occasional break out of 1-5 white spots... then I see nothing again for a while... Like I said I haven't lost anyone, but my fish DO flash so I know something is irritating them whether those white spots are ich or not.
They haven't stopped eating or anything...
Considering going 12 weeks again with all of my fish in quarantine and my display empty...
Really p***** I can't seem to get rid of this bloody parasite.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuschWacker View Post
i started a post similar to this last week. didnt really go very far, only got two replies. hopefully you can do better. i would like to do the exact same thing. look for a good deal on boxing day for something smaller, that i can keep running in a back room until its needed. would also like to know the basics that need to be in it. tagging along.
Don't worry; I am good at grabbing people's attention

Problem is I don't have the required space for something big but can still try to accommodate something.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:45 PM

darkreef is on a distinguished road

Ekkk! I forgot to dip (ran out) my frags will my fish get it ?!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM

BuschWacker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Don't worry; I am good at grabbing people's attention

Problem is I don't have the required space for something big but can still try to accommodate something.
Umm ya, aahh, I never noticed. I was thinking of getting one of those starter kits that come with lights, filters, heaters, etc. should be able to find one for under a hundred bucks.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreef View Post
Ekkk! I forgot to dip (ran out) my frags will my fish get it ?!
Don't think that would be an issue.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Don't think that would be an issue.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I have read of others that got ich in their tanks, when they hadn't added any new fish for a long time, and it happened after adding corals.

To be safe, I double dip my corals, first with the dip solution and then rinse again in tank water before adding to my display tank. If for some reason, I have to keep the old plug or rock with the new frag, then I also QT it for a week or so, and then double dip a second time before adding to my DT. The other reason, of course, is to try and prevent AEFW from getting into my DT. So far, so good, but AEFW (and other pests) are actually my greatest fear, not Ich, when it comes to corals.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I have read of others that got ich in their tanks, when they hadn't added any new fish for a long time, and it happened after adding corals.

To be safe, I double dip my corals, first with the dip solution and then rinse again in tank water before adding to my display tank. If for some reason, I have to keep the old plug or rock with the new frag, then I also QT it for a week or so, and then double dip a second time before adding to my DT. The other reason, of course, is to try and prevent AEFW from getting into my DT. So far, so good, but AEFW (and other pests) are actually my greatest fear, not Ich, when it comes to corals.
True that. Dipping is something that should be religiously practiced anyhow.