Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-08-2016, 03:21 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Holy shiit dude
Here's to a grief-free 2016
Old 01-08-2016, 04:01 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

that's terrible. hopefully 2016 will be a better year for you.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 AM

target is on a distinguished road

Just read through this whole thread and amazing work. It would be a shame to shut it all down after all that. I'm definitely inspired to do some more finishing work under my tank after seeing yours.

Really sorry to hear about your dogs. It was definitely hard to read. I hope you and your family are doing ok.

Best wishes with what ever you decide to do.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:16 PM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF

Sorry to here. Wish you and your family the best. Canreef would not be the same if you shut down.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:39 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

man tough luck I also lost my dog in 2015 she was 14 worst thing to have to do I could only imagine having to go through that at 6 years old . Sending all of my Karma your way !
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 PM

ColinD is on a distinguished road

Wow, sorry to hear, I can manage with all the tank stuff, but the loss of the dogs would have killed me. Shortly after you grabbed that sled from me we lost our boy Chilko to cancer, still get choked up when I'm around Huskies. Stay strong and have a great 2016.

Colin
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear all the struggles and loss. Jeez, I don't think that one person I know had a great 2015. Good riddance to it! I'm hoping all the best for you and your family in 2016 Greg.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:36 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Thank you for all the kind words from everyone, some I have meet in person, some I have only PM'ed with and a few whom I have never interacted with before. It is greatly appreciated.

But as I sit here in my living room on a chilly night in January of this new yr. with the dim glow of my moon light setting of my tank. Yet again not being able to sleep due to yet another stress headache. Not knowing how I am going to get my wife & I through the next couple months, I have to make a few tough decisions. One being the future of our tank.

With all the loss we have dealt with since returning from a once in a lifetime dream trip to Africa, it has really put a scar deep within me & a dark shadow over the memories of what was indeed a most glorious adventure.

At this point we are not financially able to restore our tank to what it was one yr ago. I have lost the drive and passion that one really needs for such a system that I spent over a yr planning.....building.......creating and that saddens me.

So with all of that said I think I have made the decision that it is time to shut it down. I have invested a lot of money and time into this beast to which I know I will never get back but that is what life is.

I don't really have a lot of coral or livestock left so I hope I can find good homes for it all especially my 4 very large clams. Then there is all the hardware that I have collected over the yrs. a lot of highend equipment to boot. It is very doubtful I will be able to sell the tank, stand and sump so it will probably end up at the dump in pieces.

So here is a warning to the people that like to browse the FS threads, a mass dump of goodies will be coming up soon.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Greg,

Just read your post and I'm very sorry about all your losses in 2015. I've gone through a similar Marine Velvet event from a fish also bought from a member (I used to trust and think was a friend). Honestly, I almost quit the hobby completely when that happened, so I know some of the struggles you've been wrestling with. My wife convinced me to rebuild and it took a couple of years or more to develop my passion again for this hobby, but I'm personally glad I did since the vast majority of the people I've met, just as you have, are awesome human beings. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we are saddened that you have come to this decision, but we can also understand that its something you feel is the right thing to do for yourself and your family at this point in time. We hope you will one day find the love and passion again, if not in reefing, then in some other hobby or pet. I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose both your treasured dogs so close together. Hopefully life is done throwing you all these curve balls and that 2016 will be a much better, calmer, less stressful year.

Although I am physically too far to give you a hand, I'm sure if you need some help with any of this stuff, if you post on here, you'll have many AB reefers willing and able to give you a hand.

Sincerely,

Anthony
Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear, Greg.
I imagine that on top of losing your companions, the price of oil is making it even harder to persevere.