Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Yeah you were a little quicker on the submit than I was.

Even just going to Hawaii and snorkeling is an eye opening experience to see what these fish are supposed to look like. I never saw a yellow tang that was >6" in captivity before, but I never saw any that were less than 8" or less than 2"-3" WIDE. It's unreal. It tells me we are seriously throttling back their food intake and probably shortening their lifespans as a result.
Very good points and I even wonder if some of the harder to keep species are harder as a result of diet. Not necessarily what they are eating but perhaps how much.

Now that I think about it...most of the 5+ year old Yellow Tangs I know of are what most people call "fat".
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I sure hope I can get a chance to dive and see these fish for myself. There is no better way to tell if you are doing something right, or wrong in this hobby then.

A long time ago I saw a post on another forum chastising another member for having so many tangs in one tank, and overfeeding them to keep them subdued in temperment was wrong. I believe it was untamed's tank to be honest. When the fish are hungry they are more aggressive and active...

Today has been a peaceful day with everybody, and I have no seen anything out of sorts until I put the mirror up as someone suggested I do. What was funny is all my peaceful fish were out for blood and the aggressors were in hiding...

Marie, congrats on keeping your tang so healthy and robust. I need to see if you have more pictures posted of him else where. Beautiful fish.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Marie, congrats on keeping your tang so healthy and robust. I need to see if you have more pictures posted of him else where. Beautiful fish.
Pics when I first placed him in the display tank

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26517

and this is a thread from a year ago

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41136

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Pics when I first placed him in the display tank

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26517

and this is a thread from a year ago

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41136
Very nice!

Its great to see such a thriving Achilles. You need to share your secrets
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I sure hope I can get a chance to dive and see these fish for myself. There is no better way to tell if you are doing something right, or wrong in this hobby then.

A long time ago I saw a post on another forum chastising another member for having so many tangs in one tank, and overfeeding them to keep them subdued in temperment was wrong. I believe it was untamed's tank to be honest. When the fish are hungry they are more aggressive and active...

Today has been a peaceful day with everybody, and I have no seen anything out of sorts until I put the mirror up as someone suggested I do. What was funny is all my peaceful fish were out for blood and the aggressors were in hiding...

IMO there is nothing wrong with feeding your fish more often to keep their tempers in check if that works. And I do believe that can help. If your system can handle it, I would try feeding a bit more even and see how the Sailfin and Sohal react. Perhaps it will help out a bit.

In fact I have realized that the day my Hippo beat up my Powder Brown was a rare day when I only fed them twice as I was out. Most days I feed three times with about 3 more times where I feed "snacks". Then yesterday I was out much of the day again and he went after my tusk.

Today he is an angel since I have been home and they have been getting a sheet of nori every 2 hours or so.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I think we were typing at the same time and essentially saying the same thing.

If you see these fish in the ocean, you realize a majority of fish we keep are underweight and on the slim side for fish with no competition for food or predators.

Many feeding all throughout the day is best for tangs. All they do is graze all day in the wild.
Interesting, I have been cutting back on how much I feed because I was told it was too much, I think I will continue with the way I was feeding before.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:25 AM

I can't believe a fish would mess with the tusk. I saw one at the LFS and they look pretty serious. I can see why he bit your damsel in half...

When I noticed the sailfin was almost gutted it was after feeding but I forgot to fill the nori clip. Usually I do the nori first, pellets and then Griffie's puffer chow which everybody goes nuts for. Maybe fish are creatures of habit and because I did things backwards it caused an issue.

I just fed everybody and the sohal and sailfin went after each other for a second... I guess they don't think they are just fat enough yet... Pretty soon the will sink rather then swim

I guess lard butt fish are a good thing but I wanted to make sure this was the case. I guess salt water makes one more buoyant, so they can be fatter.

Quote:
IMO there is nothing wrong with feeding your fish more often to keep their tempers in check if that works. And I do believe that can help. If your system can handle it, I would try feeding a bit more even and see how the Sailfin and Sohal react. Perhaps it will help out a bit.

In fact I have realized that the day my Hippo beat up my Powder Brown was a rare day when I only fed them twice as I was out. Most days I feed three times with about 3 more times where I feed "snacks". Then yesterday I was out much of the day again and he went after my tusk.

Today he is an angel since I have been home and they have been getting a sheet of nori every 2 hours or so.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 AM

Be daring and give your skimmer a run for its money and see what your rocks can for do you... My params always stay the same no matter how heavy I feed, and I have Griffie to deal with...

Filter socks are a wonderful invention until you have to stick your hand into it to turn it inside out for washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Interesting, I have been cutting back on how much I feed because I was told it was too much, I think I will continue with the way I was feeding before.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Were you told it was too much because of water parameters though? You can easily feed more than your tank can handle, leading to high phosphates and nitrates as I am sure you already know.

Quote:
I can't believe a fish would mess with the tusk. I saw one at the LFS and they look pretty serious. I can see why he bit your damsel in half...

When I noticed the sailfin was almost gutted it was after feeding but I forgot to fill the nori clip. Usually I do the nori first, pellets and then Griffie's puffer chow which everybody goes nuts for. Maybe fish are creatures of habit and because I did things backwards it caused an issue.

I just fed everybody and the sohal and sailfin went after each other for a second... I guess they don't think they are just fat enough yet... Pretty soon the will sink rather then swim

I guess lard butt fish are a good thing but I wanted to make sure this was the case. I guess salt water makes one more buoyant, so they can be fatter.
The tusk and most I have seen are big push overs. They don't really stand up for themselves much. Most people who buy them are quite surprised I think. They just look tough.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 AM

I never knew they even existed until I saw your post... then I saw one at the LFS and they are simply awesome. I meant to do some reading on them, since they look pretty specialized. Must be a stunner in your tank...

Quote:
Were you told it was too much because of water parameters though? You can easily feed more than your tank can handle, leading to high phosphates and nitrates as I am sure you already know.

The tusk and most I have seen are big push overs. They don't really stand up for themselves much. Most people who buy them are quite surprised I think. They just look tough.