Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-15-2017, 02:03 PM

lyall12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
The JBJ was second hand when I got it but was in very good condition however the timer function stopped working a couple of months after I got it and until yesterday the floats worked flawlessly (second set of floats for it as the first set failed 2 years ago) I have a a powerful but small pump

Sadly I will have to wait til the new year to buy another ATO system I’ll just have to plug and unplug the ATO as needed no big deal atm
Just buy a simple timer plug. Set that to be on for a short period multiple times throughout the day. The combination of timer and float should prevent floods.

I have mine set to run for 5 minutes every couple of hours. I figured this out just by noticing usage across a couple of days. That way if level sensor fails, it can't run for more than timer. And by the time the timer kicks on again, enough should have evaporated to handle next cycle.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Variation of gravity feed ATO that has worked well for me many years without failure. Couple close calls, one when tank being babysat by my folks. Other than that, simple enough to minimize the impact of failure.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...6&postcount=11
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road

I think Tunze with 2 sensors as back up is a great investment!
Old 12-18-2017, 01:27 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I used to use a Tunze, but after about 10 years it started acting up so I appointed my Apex controller to do the job because I already had enough spare parts laying around. I use two simple float switches from eBay into the breakout box and a little Hydor utility pump. I used to use Maxi Jets but they would only last for about a year before the impeller blades would fall apart. This is my program:
Fallback OFF
Set ON
Min Time 000:30 Then ON (so that the pump runs for at least 30 seconds whenever it comes on)
If Sw5 OPEN Then OFF (one float switch)
If Sw6 OPEN Then OFF (second float switch for redundancy)
If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF (water on the floor sensor)

My freshwater reservoir holds a maximum of 13gal which is not enough to overflow my sump and replenishes itself ever 1-2 days with RO/DI water which is controlled by a solenoid on a timer. I evaporate 3-4 gal daily. I've had some issues with these ATO systems not coming on and my sump water level dropping a bit before I noticed but never staying on and causing a flood.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear about the failure. The JBJ has a failsafe timer that should have prevented that. I run mine with a weak pump so if the float sticks the change in sg is minimal before the timer shuts it down. It has been working great for 8 or 9 years so far. But I suppose if the relays or logic circuits fail the failsafe might not help, fingers crossed I don't find out.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Mine did the same thing minus the flooding, my sump was full to the top though. I'm not sure whether it was a sensor or the ATO unit failed, I went back to gravity fed and it works just fine.