Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road
Default Laptops

Im in the market for a new one. Anyone have any suggestions on a specific model/brand. Laptop is basically used for just general home use, very little to no gaming. Was looking at the asus zenbook but just cant quite pull the trigger.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

I've gone through several hundred Dell laptops at work over the years and they've always been solid. I'd look at something in their Latitude line.

What price point are you looking to be in?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Depending on your budget, I would get a macbook pro. I went through a lot of pcs before i picked up my mac. I would never go back to pc. But thats just my personal preference.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

around 1000 plus or minus. would like to stick with windows, to scared to try something new

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Been using Toshibas for work and no complaints with the Tecras, got my last personal from Costco since cheap.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:15 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick00 View Post
around 1000 plus or minus. would like to stick with windows, to scared to try something new
With that budget, you can get a very good windows based laptop. Asus, lenovo and vaio probably make the best of windows machines. Toshiba does have good reps but I don't have experience with them. I personally would stay away from HP and dell. I think dell has separate production quality for commercials and consumers; I have always heard good stuff about dell from offices/institutions but bad reviews from personal users. And if you want to use a laptop and cook on it the same time, HP would be ideal. But my experience might be different from recent models.

Or you can just get a mac; probably will take you a few days to learn. I haven't seen a disappointed macbook user till now (especially those who moved away from windows). Then again, it should be a personal choice

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I have a current Toshiba at home, I like it, other than the bilingual keyboard they come with. I hated that so much I bought a new keyboard for it. We use Lenovo at work, lots of good models and price points. Also a few Dells, which I always enjoy working on, but we don't utilize Dell support, just the hardware. Nice units, but we buy the $2000+ models.
I had a HP at home that I loved, until it blew up after slightly more than a year. Common problem apparently, so I'd stay away from those
Old 02-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I would recommend a good Asus laptop. Dell's in the Latitude line are usually good too but avoid their Inspiron lineup.

At around a $1000 you can get an Alienware (which is owned by Dell) but they treat you like a completely different type of customer...they "LIVE" for their customer service.

(Edit: Oops I guess that is a $1000 US, not Canadian, sorry)

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Define general home use. I've been looking for a new notebook for a while myself, the old Compaq is really getting long in the tooth & can't handle the latest version of Google Earth! Not sure what's up with most manufacturers still producing notebooks with spinning hard drives. Should all be SSDs by now IMO & that's why I'm still holding out. I've been keeping my eye on the latest generation of smart TV's. I don't run too many RAM intensive apps any longer & mostly spend my computer time on the web. The latest smart TVs have dual core & better processors. If most of what you're doing is web based, forget the notebook & splurge on a new smart TV! Why fart around with a tiny screen when you can surf on something with a huge one, unless you really need a notebook for portability. But nowadays seems like tablets are all the rage for portability. Or big honkin' smart phones even.

Last edited by mike31154; 02-08-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I've had 1/2 a dozen Lenovo's through work and an Asus and by far the Asus was far better out of the box.
IMO if you go Lenovo strip out all of the Lenovo tools they do nothing but cause issues

J