Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido19 View Post
you know the usual a mix of sps and lps some softies
looking for stuff that is big (4inches or more) and is brightly colored (neon green,oranges reds)
local stores have a small selection and ordering takes too long with them
Good luck with the cites permits to bring in coral. It's not a simple process and it takes time. Dealing with customs and cites permits isn't fun even when you have experience in the trade. You really need to know what you are doing. If one thing isn't done right you will have the whole order seized and even be charged for illegally importing endangered species. You will need to get a re-export cites and copies of all the original cites permits from when the coral were imported into the US and more. You will need to deal with customs yourself, your courier won't be able to do it for you. I wouldn't risk 2-3 day shipping myself but hey thats me. I would only do pre-booked airport to airport direct flight.

Basically the way I see it if you have to ask here for advice you don't have near enough knowledge to give this a try anytime soon.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Sizes are never a problem, avalibility is.

All stores have schedulled shipments, and we don't usually stock large corals as most people don't have the tanks to handle then

Any store will be happy to order in corals

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 AM

fido19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandigz View Post
Good luck with the cites permits to bring in coral. It's not a simple process and it takes time. Dealing with customs and cites permits isn't fun even when you have experience in the trade. You really need to know what you are doing. If one thing isn't done right you will have the whole order seized and even be charged for illegally importing endangered species. You will need to get a re-export cites and copies of all the original cites permits from when the coral were imported into the US and more. You will need to deal with customs yourself, your courier won't be able to do it for you. I wouldn't risk 2-3 day shipping myself but hey thats me. I would only do pre-booked airport to airport direct flight.

Basically the way I see it if you have to ask here for advice you don't have near enough knowledge to give this a try anytime soon.
that is why i came here. get a good idea on everything about ordering online and one day or the other i will place an order if not today maybe next month or 3 months from now but the point is that advice is what i am gonna base my decision on
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Finisher604 is on a distinguished road

Why not have local fish store order in what your looking for sure they would have great success and if your gonna get a lot of stuff they would give u a deal.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM

fido19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finisher604 View Post
Why not have local fish store order in what your looking for sure they would have great success and if your gonna get a lot of stuff they would give u a deal.
judging from the responses i am highly considering that
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

I've ordered dry good from them befOre and all went well
Anything alive+ border= no thanks

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

If you have the time to figure out when the stores get there order in. Those are the days you should show up. A lot of the good pieces go quickly. Other then that if you know what your looking for ,some pieces get over looked because they color down durring shipping . Then your looking for potential in that coral. I find stores stay away from the big pieces because most people don't want to spend those prices. As many people have said any store will order anything you want in but they can't always control the prices. Every vendor they go to will have different corals at different times and different prices.

Chris
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Ocean Aquatics is another good store you could try.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

When it's corals (aka plants), don't you need to deal with cites permits for getting the stuff across the border?
I'd be scared that my corals would all die because of some hold up at the border.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido19 View Post
you know the usual a mix of sps and lps some softies
looking for stuff that is big (4inches or more) and is brightly colored (neon green,oranges reds)
local stores have a small selection and ordering takes too long with them
Check out Bayside Corals in Saskatoon, SK. I know it sounds funny to have a great coral store in the middle of the prairies, but it is true! I have been to a lot of LFS across western Canada over the years and Bayside consistently has the highest quality LPS around. SPS orders are a little less frequent, and sell really fast, but are also prime quality. He posts pics of new coral orders on his Facebook and Reefbook pages fairly regularly. "Like" Bayside on Facebook to get notifications.

SPS fanatic.

Tags
corals, online, order, reef