Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 AM

steveg is on a distinguished road

Thanks, hope you enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniumJoe View Post
Very exciting build. Can't wait to see the tank and the room. Tagging along.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 AM

Default And then there was water.....

Plus some rock, sand, sump, chaeto, return pump, plumbing and electrics and you get this:

I always liked the look of pinnacles and tried to make something similar in the tank.

Nothing quite like a bit of hair algae to make you feel good.......
Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 AM

Default View from the TV room

Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

This is shaping up to be a really nice build. Looks great so far ! Just curious why you went with 18" wide and not just a little wider ?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 AM

Default Tank width

Thanks for tagging along, I chose 18" as 24" looked very very wide in relation to the room and the wall. In retrospect it was the single biggest mistake I made in this build, still I have learned a lot and will be putting this in to use next time, assuming there is a next time of course.

If I did it all over again it would be at least 24" wide and perhaps even 30" wide, still I am nonetheless very pleased with how things have been going lately. I will post more pictures in the next day or 2.

Thanks

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang View Post
This is shaping up to be a really nice build. Looks great so far ! Just curious why you went with 18" wide and not just a little wider ?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Sorry I just missed all those great pics you posted just before I posted. Must say your DIY light set up really lights the tank up, looks awesome Are you going to run any kind of NR system or just stick with good old water changes ?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Interesting build. You've done well considering the narrow tank.

Do those bulbs have reflectors?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Thanks for tagging along, I chose 18" as 24" looked very very wide in relation to the room and the wall. In retrospect it was the single biggest mistake I made in this build, still I have learned a lot and will be putting this in to use next time, assuming there is a next time of course.

If I did it all over again it would be at least 24" wide and perhaps even 30" wide, still I am nonetheless very pleased with how things have been going lately. I will post more pictures in the next day or 2.

Thanks

Steve
Go 30" ! Going 24" wide on mine was the single biggest mistake of my build Wish I had gone 36"
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post

Thanks

Steve
I was wondering about that, now I know. I would definatly have a wider tank over a taller tank any day. Really wish my big tanks were shorter and wider, longer would be nice too.

However that being said the tank looks good.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Default Nutrient removal

Thanks for the comments, I am kind of lazy so when I looked at either relying on water changes or going zeovit I chose the water changes. I have seen so many amazing tanks that use the old school water changes plus ca reactor and kalkwasser that it seemed like the best choice for me.

Having said that the new NP Biopellets offer a relatively maintenance free method of reducing nutrients and I will definitely be trying it out. I belive there have been some encouraging results using the pellets and the cost is far less tha zeovit.

I like feeding a tank so any additional nutrient removal system that does not involve large amonts of effort will definitley get my vote: